Part 54

Neteyam's heart drops. Out of the many hard to take things he was expecting, this was not one of them. Lo'ak's eyes grow just as wide as his brother's.

Lo'ak- So, they mated and it didn't work out?

Rotxo- No . . .

Neteyam- Then what happened?

Rotxo looks away, feeling rising anxiousness. Neteyam grips his other shoulder as well, making Lo'ak pull his hand back.

Neteyam- Rotxo, please. What happened?

Rotxo- It was forced.

Neteyam lets out a slight breath of relief at the thought that Aonung made that decision because of his parents. Putting his responsibilities before his personal opinions is a thing the marine boy often does.

Neteyam- So their parents arranged it. That explains why it didn't work out.

Rotxo- No.

The Sully boys blink in equal confusion.

Neteyam- What?

Lo'ak- You said it was forced.

Rotxo- It was.

Lo'ak and Neteyam's faces drop at the chilling thought of what Rotxo is implying.

Lo'ak- You don't mean . . .

Neteyam's wave of shock quickly turns into sheer rage.

Neteyam- That asshole . . . He forced Aonung to mate with him.

Rotxo feels the grip on his shoulders tighten and looks up at the seething boy in front of him. Lo'ak places a hand on his brother's back as he begins to breathe heavily.

Rotxo- Neteyam, this is starting to hurt.

Lo'ak- Bro, calm down.

Neteyam- How?!

Neteyam releases Rotxo and turns to Lo'ak. A few heads turn their way.

Rotxo- Keep it down.

Neteyam- How can you expect me to be calm after what we just heard?

Lo'ak- We don't have time to beat his ass, we have to focus on rescuing Aonung.

Jake- The only thing Neteyam needs to be focusing on is healing.

The boys turn and see Jake walking towards them, and Neytiri slowing her stride to a halt. They were both headed to their den, but Jake overheard Lo'ak.

Neteyam- Father, please. I can fight, my strength is returning.

Jake- You're still wounded, those bandages make you a target, and the moment you reopen that wound you'll be in more danger.

Neteyam- It won't, I'll be careful.

Jake- Don't lie to me, boy. I raised you, and I know you're never careful.

Neteyam- So what if I take risks? I'm a warrior, that's what we do.

Jake- You are no warrior.

Neteyam- But-

Jake- Lo'ak, make sure he stays out of this.

Lo'ak- Yes, Sir.

His father ends the conversation there and rejoins his mother on their walk back to the den for weapons and supplies. Once they enter, Jake immediately starts grabbing his things and loading his gun. While Neytiri grabs her bow and arrows.

She glances at her mate, and her til flicks around, showing her irritation. He notices her watching, and picks up on it.

Jake- What is it?

Neytiri- Why must you be so hard on him?