Part 119

Within the head family's den, Ronal is speaking with Cin'lan, who has apologized again, for letting her son be harmed and for the memories he lost.

Ronal- It's okay, Cin'lan. As long as he still remembers what's important, we will be fine.

Cin'lan- You are too kind.

Ronal- To tell you the truth, this may be good for him.

Cin'lan- Good for him?

She frowns, and her voice raises a bit, surprising Ronal.

Cin'lan- He cannot remember his friends, or what he went through with Neteyam.

She catches herself practically lecturing Awa'atlu's Tsahík in her own home, then calms herself.

Cin'lan- They felt very deeply for each other, and you said you were happy for them.

Ronal- I was, but I still recognized Neteyam as a source of weakness for him. Falling for that boy made him soft, but this is an opportunity for him to regain the strength he once had.

Cin'lan- You think solitude strengthens him?

Ronal- Balancing duty with personal interest is a skill, one Aonung doesn't have.

Cin'lan- But he could learn.

Ronal- There is no time for him to mess up again. We now have a war to fight, one he must learn to lead.

Cin'lan- What of Neteyam then? Surely he will not give up on him.

Ronal- Aonung will not let anyone distract him from his responsibilities again, I will try my best to ensure that.

It's clear to her that she and Ronal feel differently about Aonung's situation, but it isn't her place to decide what's best for their future leader, that task belongs to his mother. Out of respect, she sighs, and backs down.

Cin'lan- It is still unfortunate.

Ronal- Everything happens for a reason. Perhaps their relationship was not meant to be.

Cin'lan- Even if that is so, it is still a cruel situation.

Ronal- Neteyam is a strong boy, I'm sure he will be fine. Knowing my own son, I know Aonung will have no problem readjusting.

Cin'lan- You sound so sure.

Ronal- I am. I requested for Toruk to train him in his ways, and he accepted. As soon as he rests enough, Aonung will begin his training.

Aonung- With who?

The women look to the entrance, seeing Aonung walking in. He kneels next to his mother, and looks at her expectantly.

Ronal- Jake Sully will train you in his ways, to make sure you are a strong opponent against the devilish sky people and their brutal ways.

Aonung- I had already asked Na'haji to help me train.

Ronal- Cin'lan, how skilled is your son?

Cin'lan- He is among the best of our warriors.

She hums in response, then thinks in silence for a moment.

Ronal- Tell him to train Tsireya.

Aonung- What?

Ronal- Your main focus is Toruk's training. Understand?

Aonung- (nods)

Ronal- Good. He will make you a great warrior, like Neteyam.

Aonung excuses himself, feeling a little bothered by the mention of Neteyam. In his eyes, the older Sully boy isn't so tough. He's seen him break down, act in anger, lose control, and fall apart the past few days. He wonders just how good the boy's skills as a warrior could be with him in such a state.

Ronal- Does your son have time to spare, for my daughter's training? It could be a lesson for him as well, to learn to be a fine teacher.

Cin'lan- Yes, but why not choose one of your own warriors?

Ronal- Aonung saw him skilled enough to want to be trained by him, that alone tells me he truly is among the best. For how long can he spare?

Cin'lan- He still has a year before it is time for him to take his rightful place as chief of our village.

Ronal- That is plenty of time for Tsireya to learn and hone her skills.

Cin'lan- Why suddenly have your daughter trained as a warrior? I am glad Na'haji can be of use to you, yes, but I thought Tsireya was meant to become a teacher to the young ones.

Ronal- There is the possibility that Aonung will fail to be what I need him to. Because of that, I may have to reconsider who our future Olo'eyktan is. Tsireya's heart is strong, she is tougher than she lets on, and she balances her emotions very well. With some shaping up, she could make a great warrior.

Cin'lan- You would have them rival each other?

Ronal- I am merely taking precautions.

Cin'lan- It sounds like you have considered this heavily.

Ronal- I have. Both of them will likely be good warriors, and for now, I trust that Jake Sully will shape Aonung into who he needs to be, but what truly matters is who proves better for leadership.

Cin'lan- What of Rotxo?

Ronal- He is a fine boy; Smart, a very quick learner, but such responsibilities would likely feel like a leash on him.

Cin'lan hums in understanding, but still hopes the current heir will keep his role and not be stripped of it after working his whole life for it.