Part 23

Aonung walks through the dense bush, then finds Neteyam standing next to a tree with his arms crossed.

Neteyam- Why are you following me, fish boy?

Aonung- What's wrong?

Neteyam- "What's wrong?"

Neteyam scoffs with a roll of his eyes, then starts closing the distance between him and Aonung.

Neteyam- Why not send us away instead of moving your people from their homes?

Aonung- Neteyam-

Neteyam stands right up in Aonung's face, and gives him a slight push, shutting the marine boy up.

Neteyam- You think it would've been better to just send my family on their way after we came here seeking Uturu? Do you realize Lo'ak and I would be separated from them if he had done that?

Aonung- I was only thinking about the well-being of my people. Did you see what this has done to them? They don't belong in the forest.

Neteyam- And what of what this has done to us? My family already had to flee once, and you would have us flee again?

Aonung attempts to put some distance between them, hearing the way Neteyam begins to speak like his mother. But the boy just steps closer again.

Neteyam- You would have me flee again?

Aonung quickly shakes his head.

Aonung- No, I just . . .

As Aonung takes a breath, Neteyam's expression softens just a little.

Aonung- We always stand strong, but this time we fled.

Neteyam- . . . I get it. My dad raised me in a world where we always fought hard, and faced danger head on.

Neteyam walks over to a tree, and sits down against it. Aonung follows and sits next to him.

Neteyam- But after leaving home. All we ever seem to do is run. I hate it. It's like I've been going against my own nature.

Aonung- So that's what's really bothering you.

Neteyam- You still pissed me off earlier, but yeah.

Aonung- It's bothering me too. We've never run from our problems before. It made me so mad I disrespected my father.

Neteyam looks up at Aonung's face, noticing him clenching his jaw.

Neteyam- You didn't mean what you said before, did you? You were mad, like me.

Aonung- I did, but I didn't . . .

The marine boy looks down at Neteyam.

Aonung- You know I want to help you, but-

Neteyam- This isn't the way to do things. Forcing your people to go through this.

Aonung- Your family too. I'm sorry.

Neteyam- I know you were just looking out for them, as you were taught.

Aonung looks up at the stars and remains silent. But there's a look on his face that Neteyam can't read.

Neteyam- Aonung?

The boy doesn't answer him. He just continues to watch the sky, still clenching his jaw tightly as his ears lie back some.

Neteyam isn't sure how to react, but it's clear to him Aonung won't speak anymore, so he just lies his head on the boy's shoulder in silence.