Part 50

Spider pulls a water bottle out of his bag and hands it to Aonung. The marine boy takes it then looks at his cup of soda.

Aonung- I shouldn't waste it.

Spider- I'll finish it, I love this shit. Best thing Quaritch has ever shown me.

He takes the cup and pours the rest into his own empty one. Aonung shakes his head then drinks his refreshing water, ending with a satisfied hum.

Spider- Why do you seem so, I don't know, calm? It's like you're not even worried about what could happen to you here.

Aonung- Being here like this has given me a much needed break.

Spider- What do you mean?

Aonung- The reason I was able to be captured to begin with is because I left my village alone, escaping the pain it gave me.

Spider- What kind of pain?

Aonung- Pressure, and a lot of built up emotions.

Spider- What finally sent you over the edge?

Aonung- I'm not entirely sure. It's always come in waves, and it was never enough to break me.

Spider- But the last time was different. It was overwhelming.

Aonung looks at the deeply understanding expression on Spider's face. He's understanding this almost perfectly.

Aonung- Yeah. How did you know that?

Spider- I like to play carefree, but I struggle too.

Aonung- Being stuck here with them?

Spider- No. Something else I've dealt with a lot longer.

Aonung- Now I'm curious. What troubles someone like you?

Spider thinks deeply for a moment, then averts his gaze.

Spider- You'll probably think it's stupid.

Aonung- I won't.

Aonung places his large hand on Spider's shoulder, and the boy looks up at him.

Aonung- I swear it.

Spider takes Aonung's hand from his shoulder, holding it up.

Spider- Look at your hand. It's huge to me, but normal for Na,vi.

He turns his hand over, showing the stripes on his marine skin.

Spider- Look at your stripes. They're natural, you didn't have to put them there.

Aonung- You can't help that you're human.

Spider- Exactly! I'm from the sky people, but even though I was raised Na'vi, they still look at me like I'm a demon.

Spider looks down at Aonung's hand held by both of his.

Spider- Neytiri, she scares the hell outta me. I have nightmares about that woman. About her finally deciding to kill me because she'll never see me for who I am. All she'll ever see is a demon. That's all anyone will ever see.

Aonung- Her children, they know you, right? I'm sure they don't see you that way.

The boy takes a calming breath, and his body relaxes from how tense it has gotten in the past moment.

Spider- They don't, they've never judged me for being human. That's why being around them was great. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with being this way, if there wasn't one thing I really wish I could have.

Aonung- What is that?

Spider- . . . A queue.