Part 100

With his anger rising fast, Aonung sets the baskets down, then with the help of Sorfé, he breaks up the fight. With his arms wrapped around Neteyam's chest, he pulls the angry boy back, and Sorfé gets Lo'ak. Once Rotxo finally notices their presence, he backs off.

With heavy breaths, Neteyam still glares at the older boy as he stands from the floor. Aonung stands in front of him, holding his arms up to keep both sides at bay.

He takes a long deep breath to maintain composure for the sake of how he was raised, then turns to Kiri.

Aonung- Why would you encourage them? I thought you were more mature than that.

Kiri- He deserved it.

Aonung- To be ganged up on? You had a problem with it when it happened to you.

Kiri- That was different.

Neteyam- I tried to ignore it, Aonung, I swear to you, but he started this.

Aonung turns his gaze to Na'haji, whose confidence still hasn't wavered. He can tell he feels no shame or guilt for what he did, and he severely wants to fix that, but refrains.

Aonung still hasn't mapped out this boy's personality, and doesn't know how to deal with him, so he's been trying to keep the peace by managing the other side.

He turns back to Neteyam, lowering his arms with disappointment on his face.

Neteyam- Don't give me that look, it wasn't our fault.

Aonung- Neteyam-

Neteyam- I had no intention of fighting him . . . Even though he seriously deserved it.

Aonung- I think it's time for a break.

He turns back to Na'haji, who simply nods at him before leaving without a word.

Aonung- You should calm yourselves before leaving this den.

Rotxo- Oka-

Lo'ak- I'm sick of people barkin' orders at me.

Rotxo- Lo'ak.

Aonung- That's no excuse to just fight Na'haji. Don't you remember what they told us?

Upon arriving, some rules were laid down. Fighting in Awa'atlu is often considered childish but is also seen as something unavoidable when it comes to teenage boys.

Here, in Paltu, fighting in such a way is dishonorable and strictly prohibited, and disputes are to be settled formally, by sparring.

Lo'ak- Of course I remember, but that asshole just attacked Neteyam.

Aonung- Either way, if he tells his mother about this, we could get in trouble.

Lo'ak- No, we would get in trouble, you wouldn't be affected.

Aonung- What?

Lo'ak- I hate seeing you pretending like we're in this together, and trying to control our actions. So fuck off, and and stop patronizing.

Aonung- If I left you to just do what you wanted, we would've been in trouble the day we got here.

Lo'ak- And your smug ass still wouldn't have defended us!

Neteyam- Lo'ak, st-

Lo'ak- He fuckin' attacked your boyfriend but you didn't even tell him off for it!

Aonung- Unlike you, I didn't want to start any more trouble.

Lo'ak- So defending my brother is trouble for you now?

Neteyam- Lo'ak.

Aonung turns and storms out of the den, making Neteyam sigh in frustration.

Lo'ak- I thought he said we should be calm before leaving.

His mate plucks him in the face, making him wince.

Lo'ak- Ow. What was that for?

Rotxo- You know Aonung isn't one to just act on his anger.

Lo'ak- All the shit he gave us for Neteyam, just for being siblings, but he won't put some outsider in his place for causing my brother harm. You don't think he needed to be scolded for that?

Neteyam- Not by you, skxawng. Are you trying to worsen your relationship with him?

Lo'ak- He's doing you wrong.

Neteyam- And you did his sister wrong. But what you did was worse, so if you're this upset, how do you think he feels?