Part 149

As they approach the beach, things are still lively. Each with an inner heater, the Metkayina teens still splash and play about like the rapidly cooling air has no effect on them. Kiri, on the other hand, is sitting on a rock in the sunniest spot with her cloak on, next to Sorfé and Spider.

They walk over to the trio, then look out at the kids playing in the water.

Kiri- Imagine how cold the water must be right now.

Aonung- Just stay out of it until it's time to leave.

Lo'ak- But what about fo-

Aonung- Let us handle it.

He spots Na'haji nearby and waves him over with the arm Neteyam isn't clinging to.

Aonung- Round you up some hunters, it's time to eat.

Na'haji- Should we not go back to the village?

Aonung- Let these guys warm up first. Hot food and some time around the pit should help.

Na'haji nods, then runs over to some of the others in the water, telling them to gather their weapons to start the hunt. The wind blows again, chilling even a few Metkayinans.

Lo'ak- Why the hell is the temperature already dropping? It's only noon.

Kiri- And so quickly too, it's not normal.

Neteyam suddenly remembers the conversation his father was having with Norm, discussing abnormal weather conditions. But before he can speak on it, a rumbling in the distance draws everyone's attention towards the direction they came here from.

Thick, grey clouds are making their way over the horizon like a thundering army.

Lo'ak- Holy shit, there's a storm coming.

Kiri- But it's coming from homeward. If we try to go back, we'll be going right into it.

Sorfé- We could wait it out here.

Spider- There's no telling how long it'll last, and it seems like it's getting colder by the minute.

Kiri- He's right, and that cave doesn't trap heat, the opening is too big.

Sorfé- What other choice do we have?

Looking out at the coming storm, Neteyam's mind races through many thoughts. Things he's heard from Norm and the other scientists long ago, but also something from his marine boy, that is starting to sound familiar.

Neteyam- Aonung.

He speaks softly, only gaining the attention of the one he called.

Neteyam- Did you feel cold in your dreams?

Aonung- I'm not sure, but I did wake up with a shiver this morning. Why ask now?

His eyes begin to widen at an inquiry forming in his mind.

Aonung- Neteyam? What's wrong?

Neteyam- I don't think those were just dreams you were having, I think it was a message.

Aonung- A message?

Neteyam- I don't know why, but I think you saw what's coming. It must've been some kind of warning, but why not come through someone who would recognize it, like me or Kiri?

Aonung- What are you talking about?

Neteyam- Guys, listen.

He interrupts the other conversation being held by raising his voice, and the others give him his undivided attention.

Neteyam- Norm was talking about this abnormal weather situation before we left, it's the reason he brought extra blankets and cloaks for the village.

Lo'ak- So he knows what's happening?

Neteyam- No, well, not exactly. Look, some years ago, he told me about the weather on their home planet. The conditions there could become very extreme.

Kiri- Like that barren place he mentioned. It was so hot there that the vegetation couldn't grow, and the land was scorched.

Sorfé and Aonung share a look, hardly believing there could be such a place.

Neteyam- And things could also get extremely cold. Freezing the water solid and turning it into ice. Crystallized water would fall from the skies in storms, blanketing the ground in white.

He looks directly at Aonung, silently referring to the scenery in the boy's dream.

Neteyam- Sometimes even ice would fall from the sky, creating an even more dangerous storm.

Sorfé- That sounds terrifying.

Neteyam- I thought so too, when I first heard of it.

Another gust of wind blows against them, making them look back towards the storm in the distance.

Neteyam- They called it winter, and if that's what's coming our way, we can't get caught in it like this, or we'll freeze.

He lets go of Aonung's arm and starts rubbing his temples with a frustrated groan.

Neteyam- I knew this was a stupid idea. I knew it!

Aonung- Neteyam-

Neteyam- What the hell am I supposed to do with all these fucking people right now?!

Aonung- Neteyam, calm down.

Neteyam- I can't!

He throws his arms up in the air dramatically, letting them plop back down as his eyes dart around as if he'll find a solution in the air.

Aonung- Listen to me. If what you're saying is true, then we have to weigh out our options here, and fast. I need you to focus.

Neteyam- I'm thinking, alright.

Spider- We can help, dude. You aren't alone.

Neteyam- Oh believe me, I am very aware of that fact. Not being alone is half the problem.

Kiri- It's a problem we just have to deal with. We can't afford to waste time wishing it wasn't so.

Spider- Going back home doesn't look like a good option.

Sorfé- Staying here does not seem like a good choice either.

Lo'ak- Then what the hell are we supposed to do? Run from the storm?

Neteyam's gaze snaps towards his brother, and suddenly the gears in his head start working again. Though his tone was completely sarcastic, Neteyam took the idea in all seriousness.

Neteyam- That's exactly what we'll do.

Lo'ak- What?

Kiri- Are you joking right now?

Neteyam- It's either that, or we freeze to death.

Kiri- But where are we even supposed to go?

Aonung- There's a lot of islands out there, we're bound to come across something.

Neteyam- The problem is getting to a place that has somewhere good for keeping warm before the storm catches up to us.

Aonung- Then we need to get moving.

Sorfé- Are you familiar with the areas past here?

Aonung- Not really.

Neteyam- Doesn't matter. We have no choice but to leave, now. Get everyone out of the water and gather them here, same for the idiots still dancing over there like nothing's happening.