Part 16

While Lo'ak strays away from his brother, looking for Rotxo within the village, Neteyam walks along the beach. He isn't sure why he feels so strongly that Aonung is there, but he still follows his instinct.

Soon he spots the marine boy in the water with his Ilu. Neteyam internally thanks his own instincts.

When he hears someone entering the water, Aonung looks to the shore, and sees Neteyam walking towards him. He continues to pet his Ilu, and Neteyam stops next to him, waist deep in the water.

Neteyam observes Aonung as he focuses his attention on his Ilu like the forest boy isn't standing there.

After admiring Aonung's long eyelashes, Neteyam taps the boy's arm.

Neteyam- Aonung.

Aonung turns to face Neteyam with a sigh.

Neteyam- Gonna tell me why I got punched in the face earlier?

Aonung- You shouldn't have sided with me. I don't want to come between you and your siblings.

Neteyam- Lo'ak needed to know he was wrong.

Aonung- Yes, on his own. We agreed you wouldn't play the hero.

Neteyam- So I was supposed to just let you two try to kill each other?

Aonung- Lo'ak is a skxawng, but I do think he is capable of knowing if he's right or wrong on his own. Even if it takes him longer than it should to find out.

Neteyam- Why do you get to teach him that?

Aonung- I'm not teaching him anything, just exposing him to an opportunity to learn.

Aonung releases his Ilu and the creature swims off to join its fellow Ilu. Neteyam looks up at the sky and sees eclipse approaching.

Neteyam- It's getting late.

Aonung- Sit on the beach with me.

Neteyam's face lights up, and Aonung smirks as they both head to the shore and sit comfortably on the sand.

Night falls, and the stars are suddenly decorating the sky. Neteyam turns his gaze from the stars to their reflection in Aonung's eyes.

Neteyam- Aonung, are we friends?

The marine boy looks at him, the stars still shining in his eyes.

Aonung- I don't know.

Neteyam- I thought it was a pretty simple question.

Aonung- You kissed me, twice. Nothing is simple about that.

Aonung's face now holds confliction. The forest boy's actions threw him for a loop.

Aonung- Even after you explained your actions, you never really elaborated on that.

Neteyam- It's a kiss, that should explain itself.

Aonung- It should, but it doesn't. 

Neteyam hints the change in Aonung's tone, but he doesn't recognize it.

Neteyam- Have you never been kissed before?

Aonung pauses for a moment, then looks back at the stars.

Aonung- I have.

Neteyam- Really?! Who was it? Have we met?

Aonung finds Neteyam's curiosity amusing, but a bad memory kills the smile that had only just begun to show on his face.

Aonung- I don't want to talk about it.

Neteyam holds any more questions to himself, sensing from Aonung's tone that it's a bad subject. Assuming that it was some sort of failed relationship, he decides to make his intentions clear.

Neteyam- Aonung.

He calls his name softly, and Aonung looks at him.

Neteyam- I find you very attractive.

The boy blinks twice, caught completely off guard by the sudden compliment.

Aonung- Where did that come from?

Neteyam- I just thought you should know. So you won't have any confusion when I kiss you again.

Aonung- Again?

Neteyam pulls Aonung's face right onto his own, locking their lips for just a short moment before pulling away and observing the marine boy's startled face.

He lets his hand linger on Aonung's face, caressing his smooth skin.

Aonung- What do you like so much about me?

Neteyam- Have you seen yourself?

They both pause for a minute before laughing, and Aonung takes the hand that held his face.

Aonung- I'm serious.

Neteyam watches Aonung begin to observe his hand, completely distracted from the topic for a moment. He smiles at the marine boy's fascination.

Neteyam- Other than your pretty face . . .

He draws Aonung's attention back up to him.

Neteyam- And your strong physique . . .

Neteyam squeezes Aonung's biceps, which brings a smirk to his face.

Neteyam- I think it's your pure kindness. A hidden trait that isn't easily found. I like that the most.

Aonung smiles at his answer, then looks back up at the sky.

Neteyam- So, are we friends, or . . . ?

Aonung glances at the forest boy with a smirk, then stands from his spot. He motions for Neteyam to stand too, and the boy does so, only to be swept up by Aonung's strong arms.

Neteyam is shocked by the sudden action, but doesn't get the chance to relax before something else happens. Aonung tosses the golden eyed boy into the water, and he shouts at him.

He resurfaces and looks at the shore to fuss at Aonung, but he isn't there. Then those blue eyes are suddenly inches away from his own as Aonung rises out of the water, and brings their lips together.

Unlike Neteyam, Aonung's kiss is soft and sweet, instead of hot and spicy. He enjoys it, and smiles when they separate.

Neteyam- So, does this mean what I think it means?

Aonung splashes water into Neteyam's face and starts swimming back to shore.

Neteyam- Come on, Aonung, what are we?

Aonung- Don't make me say it.

The forest boy smiles with a slight shake of his head, thinking Aonung's shy side is cute.

The two make their way back onto the beach, and take a stroll down the shore under the sea of stars together, occasionally pushing the other into the water.