Part 57

Jake follows the boy with Aonung close behind. Their plan is for Jake to destroy the ship from the inside while the other warriors attack from the outside. To cut off all their communications, destroy their weapon supply and gear, and ensure they can't follow the Na'vi home.

They reach the boiler room, and while Jake increases the temperature, Spider keeps an eye on the pressure meter to the fuel tank.

Once it starts going up, they know it's working. After that, Jake takes them back through the ship, and onto deck, where it's started pouring.

Quaritch and the other avatars are up in the sky on their Ikran, fighting the warriors in the water, away from the ship, as according to plan. But someone is still fighting the men on deck, which shouldn't be at this stage of their plan, because they're sinking the ship.

Jake walks out to the front, leaving Spider and Aonung on the side, then sees Lo'ak, Rotxo, and Neteyam. Each of them fighting on deck, unaware of what's soon to happen.

After Lo'ak tosses his defeated opponent aside, he looks up at his father storming towards him.

Jake- I'm not even gonna ask why the hell you're here. Just get off this ship, it's gonna blow.

He looks around at the defeated men, but only sees Rotxo, then Spider and Aonung coming around.

Jake- Where's Neteyam?

Lo'ak- Looking for Aonung.

Jake- He went inside. Damn it!

Lo'ak- I'm sor-

Jake- Save it, just get outta here. Take Spider and Aonung with yo-Aonung!

Aonung runs back into the ship going after Neteyam, and Jake mentally kills them both before running after him.

Spider, Lo'ak, and Rotxo make their escape, as instructed. The boys would've known the rest of Jake's plan had they not gotten distracted by Mo'dan.

Jake catches up to the marine boy, within a hall, and quickly grabs his arm, yanking him to make him turn around.

Jake- Get out of here, I'll find Neteyam.

Aonung- No.

Jake- We don't have time for this, just go.

Aonung- No, I won't. He needs my help.

Jake simply rolls his eyes, and moves forward, telling Aonung to stay close. He really has no time to argue with the boy.

As they continue to frantically search around, calling for Neteyam, he grows more worried by the second.

Jake- I swear if anything happens to him . . . Why the hell did you leave?

Aonung- You wouldn't understand.

Jake- Try me.

Aonung waits while Jake calls out to Neteyam once more before continuing.

Aonung- I had to leave.

Jake- Put the whole village in an uproar? That's something you had to do?

Aonung- I couldn't take it anymore!

Aonung stops, raising his voice, and Jake quickly looks back at him.

Aonung- All they did was wear me down. The pressure never stopped. Everyone needed me to be perfect, and I wanted to be, but it's impossible . . . I want to be the leader my father was raising, but I'm not ready . . . I can't handle this yet.

Aonung's vented words begin to enlighten Jake. Hearing him in other words . . .

Jake- You're still just a kid.

Jake whispers out, mostly to himself, at the realization of what such a heavy role is to someone his age. Like his own son, Neteyam. But a sudden loud noise brings him out of his thoughts, and he faces forward.

Jake- Neteyam?