Part 32

Just as Lo'ak brings Rotxo into his arms, they hear someone's voice nearby and he pushes him away.

Rotxo falls into a bush, and Lo'ak starts to laugh when he looks back up at him, pouting.

Neteyam- What are you two doing?

As he helps Rotxo up, Aonung and Neteyam approach the two.

Lo'ak- I could ask you the same thing, bro.

Neteyam chuckles, and wraps his arm around Lo'ak as they all walk back into the clearing. While Aonung talks to Rotxo, Neteyam whispers a secret into his brother's ear.

After they reach the hut, Tsireya is there with Tuktirey, but Kiri is nowhere in sight. The boys walk in looking confused.

Neteyam- Where's Kiri?

Tuktirey- She got bored and went for a walk. I followed her, but she found me and got mad because she was talking to this boy.

Tuktirey pouts at the memory, but Neteyam and Lo'ak are stuck on one thing.

Neteyam- Boy?

Lo'ak- Who?

Tuktirey- I don't know his name.

Neteyam- What does he look like?

Lo'ak- Forget that, where are they?

Aonung- And you call me overprotective.

Lo'ak- This is different!

Neteyam- Tuk, where were they?

Tuktirey- They were just walking around, but now they're right behind you.

All four boys turn around and see Kiri walking up to the hut, smiling, with a tall Metkayina boy. His hair is shoulder length, and his chest is decorated with a scar.

Rotxo looks at Aonung, and sees him freeze.

Kiri invites the boy in and gives a stern look to her brothers.

Kiri- Guys, this is Mo'dan.

Lo'ak- Mo'dan?

Kiri- Don't worry, he's just a friend.

The Sully boys glance at each other, then to Aonung, whose body has stopped moving completely. When the tall boy finally notices Aonung, he walks past the others, and right up to his old friend.

Mo'dan- Long time no see, Nung.

Neteyam- Nung?

Mo'dan looks at Neteyam's confused face and smiles.

Mo'dan- Oh that's just the nickname I gave him when we were younger.

Lo'ak- So you guys are childhood friends?

Mo'dan- Pretty much, but we haven't talked in a while. It's been a busy year.

As the Sully boys exchange another glance, an awkward silence fills the room.

Kiri- So, I was gonna teach him a few tricks in the forest. You guys wanna come?

Neteyam- We have plans of our own, actually.

Kiri- Oh, okay. Tsireya? Tuk?

Tuktirey- Me and Tsireya are gonna make necklaces.

Kiri- Guess it's just you and me then, Mo, let's roll.

Kiri leaves with Mo'dan, then Aonung bolts out of the hut, going the opposite direction of them. Neteyam watches, but doesn't move.

Lo'ak- Shouldn't we go after him?

Neteyam- We have plans.

Neteyam gives him a certain look and Lo'ak nods. As they leave, Rotxo automatically follows behind Lo'ak.

Tsireya watches their suspicious behavior, then sighs.

Tuktirey- What's wrong?

Tsireya- I have a bad feeling about whatever their plans are.

Tuktirey- If Neteyam is in on it, it can't be too bad.

Tsireya- Ah, that is true.

Tuktirey- They're probably having some kind of competition or something.

Tsireya- That does sound like them.

Tsireya tries to let her worries slip away, but can't shake the feeling that something is off.

For one, if they were all having a competition they would've invited Aonung. Two, Aonung ran off, and none of them went after him, not even Rotxo.

But to not soil the mood, she leaves her worries in the back of her mind and enjoys her time with Tuktirey.