Part 86

Neytiri nods in approval with her glare fading away, then Jake turns to his oldest son. Neteyam meets his gaze, knowing what he's about to say.

Jake- How long have you known about Aonung's mate?

Neteyam- Not long enough.

He hums in response as Neteyam lowers his head once again.

Jake- You know you can't be-

Neteyam- Don't, father. Please.

Jake- But isn't there someone better you know? Preferably someone not taken.

Neytiri- Ma'Jake.

She warns him, not wanting to pressure their already troubled son.

Jake- What? I'm just asking.

Neytiri- Then stop.

Jake- But-

Neteyam- No, there isn't.

His head remains low, but his voice is stern. His father's brows furrow, not liking his irrational liking for the taken boy.

Jake- You can't just kill his mate, Neteyam. Not only is that wrong, and could get you exiled, but it would hurt Aonung too. Doesn't matter how much he seems to dislike him, the fact is, they're bon-

Neteyam- Father, please!

He looks up at Jake with anger in his eyes.

Neteyam- I know this already . . . Hearing you say it does nothing but worsen the pain.

His father sighs at how similar he begins to sound to Neytiri, knowing he's far more angry than he's letting on at the moment.

Neteyam takes a breath, calming himself, and Lo'ak rubs a gentle hand along his back.

Neteyam- Now, if you will excuse us. We have to take Rotxo home.

Jake nods, and Neteyam quickly stands from his spot, and turns to leave the den. Rotxo follows him, and Lo'ak stands, looking back at his father for a moment.

Jake- You and I will talk more later.

Lo'ak glances at his mother, then back to Jake with a nod before taking his leave. He walks up in between Rotxo and Neteyam, feeling the need to be next to both.

Lo'ak- You okay, bro?

Neteyam- As okay as one can be in this situation.

Lo'ak- I won't patronize you, but, I don't want you getting exiled.

Neteyam- No worries. You'll be there to stop me if I ever try it again.

Lo'ak- How can you be sure of that?

Neteyam- From now on, I'll let you know of my whereabouts before straying away from you, and you will do the same.

Lo'ak- Oh. I thought you didn't like having to keep tabs on me like that.

Neteyam- Doesn't matter, I need to, to keep you out of trouble.

He hums in response, unsure of how he feels about things going back to the way they were. When his brother's word was law, and his guidance was order. Before a certain marine boy swooped in and suddenly gave Lo'ak the space to really think for himself.

He enjoyed it, but would be lying if he said he didn't miss those guided days, because they kept him from screwing up quite as much as he has recently.