Part 73

A smile appears on Tsireya's face as she lets out a half laugh.

Tsireya- Okay, but, there's just one thing I want you to remember.

She grabs his hand and looks into his eyes with a serious expression.

Tsireya- Neteyam nearly got himself exiled, and risked losing everything, with no concern for any rules. All for you.

Aonung- . . .

Tsireya- I don't know why you dislike your mate, and I won't ask. But if you truly do like Neteyam, give your all for him, just like he did for you.

Aonung- But, he'll never be able to be my mate, and I know he would long to. Maybe I should just let him find someone else, instead of torturing him like that.

Tsireya- No! Don't just give up.

Aonung- I'm not giving up, I'm letting him go.

Tsireya- Don't-

Aonung- You couldn't give Lo'ak what he needed so he found someone else. It's only a matter of time before Neteyam does the same thing.

Tsireya scowls at her hopeless brother.

Tsireya- You're just saying these things because you feel like you can't defy a single order.

Aonung- Because I can't, I'm the next leader. Not only do I have to enforce the rules, I have to follow them.

Tsireya- Bullshit!

Aonung's eyes widen, startled completely by the sudden foul language coming from his sweet sister.

Tsireya- If you won't give your all for someone you care about, then you aren't worth anything to anybody.

Aonung- But I-

Tsireya- Why do you think Lo'ak and Rotxo are together, huh? Despite everything saying it was wrong, they stuck together. Because they gave it their all. And even if the whole world hates them, guess what, they still have each other.

He remains silent, almost afraid to say anything else. She's never fussed at him this way before.

Tsireya- So toughen your ass up, and fight for what you want!

She starts breathing a bit heavily after fussing at him with little time to breathe.

Aonung- Okay . . . Just . . . Calm down.

Tsireya- (sighs) Sorry, it's just. I failed the one I wanted, and I don't want you to fail too.

Aonung- No it's okay, I get it. You alright now?

Tsireya- Yeah, yeah, that actually felt pretty good.

They begin to laugh softly, suddenly finding the outburst amusing, since it was out of the ordinary for her.

Aonung- Think mom heard?

They both peek into the front of the den, and see their mother walk past the entrance outside, carrying something. With a sigh of relief, they lean back against the wall again.

Aonung- Good thing she likes to clean before going to sleep.

Tsireya- (laughs) So . . .

Aonung- So what?

Tsireya- What are you gonna do?

Aonung- I'm not sure. I was serious about not wanting to get my ass beat. Jake is nice, but I don't doubt for a second that he wouldn't beat the shit out of me for going to his son after he directly told me not to.

Tsireya- I'm sure you will figure something out.

Aonung- I hope you're right.