Part 45

Lo'ak finally walks up to Neteyam, expecting him to be enraged, but instead finds no emotion on his face.

He places his hands on Neteyam's shoulders, attempting to look into his eyes and get some kind of reaction from him.

Lo'ak- Neteyam.

Neteyam- I give up.

Lo'ak- What?

Neteyam- I said I give up!

Neteyam shoves his brother off of him. Lo'ak is glad to have a reaction from him, he was afraid he had been broken, but this isn't exactly ideal to him either.

Neteyam- First Aonung gets pissed at me, and now dad renounces me as a warrior. I'm through with this shit.

Lo'ak- When did Aonung get pissed at you?

Neteyam- This morning.

Lo'ak- Why?

Neteyam- . . . I don't know. Maybe there really is something wrong with me.

Lo'ak- Tey-

Neteyam- No. I'm going back to sleep.

With a hand over his now aching wound, Neteyam heads back to Ronal's den, and Lo'ak simply stands there worried with Rotxo.

Rotxo- I don't like seeing him this way.

Lo'ak- I know. Me too.

Rotxo- What are we gonna do?

Lo'ak- Help him.

Rotxo- Isn't that what Aonung was supposed to be doing?

Lo'ak- Yeah, but-

Rotxo- I can't imagine he would just abandon him.

Lo'ak- He didn't.

Rotxo looks up at Lo'ak, intrigued because he sounds so sure.

Lo'ak- You've heard Aonung say him and Neteyam are alike.

Rotxo- Yeah.

Lo'ak- It's true. He's just like him. That's why he suddenly did something weird.

Rotxo- What do you mean?

Lo'ak- Aonung knew Neteyam was overwhelmed and needed him, but that's only because he's the exact same way.

Rotxo's eyes widen at the sudden realization. Aonung has been bending over backwards for everyone, especially Neteyam, and hasn't asked anyone for help.

Lo'ak- He needs help, Rotxo. And if it's bad enough for him to abandon Neteyam and his village . . . Then getting him to come back might not be so easy.

Rotxo- Then JakeSully may fail.

Lo'ak- (sighs) There's nothing we can do. Dad won't let us go with, and he might actually kill us both if we try anyway.

Rotxo sighs, and the two boys head back to Ronal's den to check on Neteyam.