Chapter 65

I will take you down with me. 

Those words echo in the recesses of my mind. With a jolt, I fling my eyes open, finding myself once again in the dark abyss. My chest aches, and my head throbs with each heartbeat, the pain pulsating through my entire being. I drag my feet slowly, trudging through the abyss with a mind blanketed in confusion. 

Why am I here? And how long have I been wandering in this desolate place?

"Athanasia," I call out her name, but the only response is the eerie silence that surrounds me. I call out again, louder this time, "Athanasia, can you hear me?"

Still, there's no answer. With a heavy heart, I press on, hoping to stumble upon anything, even though I'm acutely aware that this place exists solely within the confines of my own mind.

I lose track of time as I wander aimlessly, the darkness swallowing me whole. Then, suddenly, a spotlight pierces through the gloom, drawing my attention like a moth to a flame. A surge of hope courses through me as I hasten towards it. Perhaps Sesshomaru has found a way to rescue me, just as he did before. Maybe Anubis-

But my hopeful thoughts dissipate like smoke in the wind as I reach the source of the light. Before me lies Athanasia, unconscious and ensnared within a barrier of swirling light green fog. My heart clenches with worry. 

What has happened to her? Why is she in this state?

Questions swarm my mind, but a chilling realization sends a shiver down my spine. If Athanasia is here, then who is occupying her body in the waking world?

Fear grips me as I contemplate the implications of this revelation. I crouch down, clutching my head in my hands, desperately trying to recall the events leading up to this moment. We were battling Odin, and Sesshomaru dealt the final blow, but after that, my memories falter and fade into nothingness.

"Athanasia, please," I plead, reaching out to her motionless form. But she remains unresponsive, her stillness a haunting echo of my own helplessness.

With a heavy heart and a weary soul, I sink to the ground, exhaustion weighing me down. Tears blur my vision as I lay my head down, the darkness of sleep offering temporary respite from the turmoil within.

"Please, let this be a dream," I whisper, the words barely audible amidst the silence of the abyss. But even as sleep claims me, a distant voice whispers sincere apologies, its familiarity sending a shiver down my spine. I immediately wake up, placing my palm on my forehead, a moist feeling on my forehead fills my heart with joy and my eyes with a flood of tears. 

Sesshomaru please help me get out of this place. I don't feel safe. When I was lost in my depression, I felt reassured knowing that Athanasia was taking care of things. However, now I have no connection to the outside world which is driving me crazy.

I lay my head back once again and glance at Athanasia's figure. I get lost in thoughts as I see familiarity with this scene and Rin when she was in deep slumber in the Tree of Ages. I'm neither Rin nor Kagura, yet the similarities to both are vivid. 

Exhaustion weighs heavy upon my weary frame, despite having exerted no physical effort. Closing my eyes, I surrender to the oppressive embrace of the abyss, its darkness enveloping me like a suffocating shroud. 

From time to time, I hear voices as if I am hallucinating because of my desperation to speak with someone. Numbness spreads through my limbs, a cold detachment settling over me as I drift further from reality.

One time, I open my eyes, seeing my familiar room, but the moment I blink, I get back to the abyss. Is this how Athanasia felt like when she was sealed in this body for 19 years? The thought sends a shiver down my spine, empathy mingling with frustration at the incomprehensible loneliness she must have endured. 

How did she survive this loneliness?

As I lay in the suffocating embrace of the abyss, a sense of despair gnaws at the very core of my being. Each passing moment feels like an eternity, yet time slips through my fingers like grains of sand, leaving me grasping at shadows.

The weight of my own helplessness presses down upon me like a suffocating blanket, extinguishing the flicker of hope that had dared to ignite within my heart. I find myself drowning in a sea of despair, the darkness swallowing me whole as I succumb to the relentless tide of hopelessness.

Faint whispers of unfamiliar conversations echo through the void, taunting me with the familiar voices.  I try to block out their voices, to prevent myself from clinging to any false hope, but I fail as their endless conversations find their way into the deepest recesses of my mind, twisting and distorting my thoughts until I can no longer distinguish reality from illusion.

And then, like a fragile thread stretched to its breaking point, my resolve shatters, leaving me adrift in a sea of despair. I no longer have the strength to fight against the darkness that threatens to engulf me, to claw my way back to the surface of consciousness. Instead, I surrender, finding myself answering those voices from time to time when I have the energy.

Faint memories flicker at the edges of my consciousness, fleeting glimpses of a life that once was, but they are quickly swallowed by the all-encompassing darkness that surrounds me. I am adrift in a void of my own making, lost to the world and to myself.

Time loses all meaning as I drift in and out of consciousness, the boundaries between wakefulness and slumber blurring into nothingness. Each time I awaken, it is as if I am being torn from a dreamless sleep, only to find myself trapped once again in the suffocating embrace of the abyss.

With each passing moment, the numbness that envelops me grows deeper, until I can no longer feel the chill of the void that surrounds me. I am little more than a spectre, a ghost haunting the desolate expanse of my own mind. And so, I surrender to the darkness, allowing it to consume me whole as I fade into nothingness, a mere shadow of the person I once was.

From time to time, I open my eyes, confirming the darkness. At one moment, I open my eyes to see a blurry figure with silver shimmering hair. I smile as I extend my hand to touch the face of the once so young boy who now looks more like the person I once knew in my world. His golden eyes fill up with tears, glowing in the dim room.

"Those precious tears aren't meant for me," I console him, and then fall back into my black hole.

What a sweet dream.