Chapter 28

For two whole months, Sesshomaru doesn't show up, while Athanasia remains in her closed state of mind. Only once throughout those two months I woke up in the middle of the garden at midnight with tears swallowing my face. I don't know what happened with Athanasia or why she is suffering on her own. I wish I can help her, but she isn't giving me a chance.

I glance at the book on my bedside table and sigh heavily. She probably needs more time.

I get up from the bed and head to the food tray to grab something to eat, but strangely the tray has remained the same since yesterday. I tilt my head in confusion. Did the servants forget to change it yesterday before I got to bed? But they never forget.

I straighten my hair and leave it loose before leaving the room, but now what is really going on? Irgal and the one-eyed demon aren't there either. They never leave the door unguarded. Did something happen to Izayoi again while I was asleep?

I rush to Izayoi's room, and again I see no guards. Worry takes over me.

"Is there something you need?" I hear Toga from across the hallway, so I walk towards him.

"Where is everyone?" I ask while I glance behind him, still seeing no one.

"Everyone is being interrogated in the dungeons," he answers, and I frown.

"May I ask for what purpose?" I question, hoping it won't sound rude of me.

Toga shifts his gaze away from mine and answers, "I spoke with Kirinmaru, and he told me someone from inside the palace gave him that information."

I get taken aback by his reply because why would he go now to Kirinmaru; it's been two months since that day. "Inu no Taisho, are you sure he is telling you the truth?" I ask and try to have eye contact with him, but he keeps avoiding it.

He is definitely hiding something from me.

"There is no reason for him to lie," Toga answers and walks ahead of me to reach Izayoi's room. He holds onto the knob to get inside while saying, "Will you excuse me! I need to see my wife."

I nod and watch him open the door. I peek inside and see Izayoi lying in bed while coughing in pain. Is she sick? Is that what he is hiding?

I hold the door, preventing him from closing it, and I force my way inside. I notice Izayoi hiding something under the blanket she is covered with, so I rush towards her with a visible frown and pull the cover out of the way.

What is that?

I see a piece of cloth covered in blood which leaves me to think of the worst.

Did she lose the baby?

Inuyasha!

But her abdomen is still big, meaning there must be a baby in there, but what is that blood?

"Zuri," Izayoi calls my name and coughs while breathing heavily.

Why does she seem short of breath? She was fine three days ago. Is she sick?

"I didn't want you to find out like this. There is an illness that runs in my family. This illness takes lives at a young age and without warning. I know I don't have much time left-" She pauses and extends her hand for me to hold it while she continues, "Please take good care of Inuyasha."

She lets go of my hand and coughs while holding onto the piece of cloth. That's when I see the blood. Toga rushes to her side and gently pats her back.

Ah, she has Tuberculosis.

I have seen those symptoms before. I lower my head as I realize how such a disease could be cured in modern times, but sadly, I'm not Kagome to go back and forth through time to bring her medicine. I wish I was a doctor! At least, I would have known the content of the medicine and recreate it for her.

I fist my hand, and a thought comes to mind, recalling what I read in Athanasia and Anubis's book. Can't my blood help her? But my skin can't be pierced, I realize. Damn it, what's the point of having a power that can't be used!

How useless!

"May I ask of you to release my guards? I trust they weren't involved in leaking information," I say to Toga with a lowered head. When I hear him hum, I excuse myself.

The anime didn't say how Izayoi died, so I assumed she died a natural death, but after what I just heard, it seems there is no way for me to help Inuyasha spend the maximum time with his mother.

Izayoi will watch Inuyasha grow for only a short time, so I'll have to be there for him, but I'm not sure how long I'll be here; in this world.

I climb onto Ah-Un and head to the Bone-Eater's Well. I approach the Well and place my hand on its wall. My intentions were to save Toga and Izayoi, but fate isn't giving me a chance. I glance at the ground, seeing a sharp tool, so I pick it up. I open my palm, and with my other hand, I try to open a wound with that tool, but just like Athanasia said, my skin can't be pierced.

I sigh in disappointment and let go of the tool then slide down, resting my back onto the Well while hugging my legs close to my chest. If I jump in the Well and miraculously go to Kagome's time, how will I get back here? In frustration, I bite my lower lip. A stinging pain makes me hiss. I rub the area with my thumb but giggle at the clean sight of it.

And here I thought, I'll see blood, how ridiculous of me!

Suddenly, I feel the presence of someone, so I quickly get up. "Who is-" I cut my words short when I see Sesshomaru standing at the opposite side of the Well with his hair dancing and the sun descending behind him.

I want to cry in his arms and comfort my aching heart. I want someone to tell me everything is going to be fine, but I know I can't do any of that. The only thing I can do is admire his looks from afar and smile.

Smile.

Just smile-

I feel salty liquid on my lips, realizing how fake my smile is. I lower my head and hear Sesshomaru say, "You have so many emotions for a Goddess."

I chuckle between tears and utter, "Athanasia has more emotions than humans."

"What brings you here?" He asks.

I look at him and rub my face while answering, "This Well is a door to the future, but I don't have the key."

"Do you know who has it?"

"Hmm, probably with priestess Midoriko's descendants. The key is the Shikon Jewel, but I don't know the exact location," I answer and see him have that expression.

What is on his mind?

"Why do want to rush back to your time?" He asks, catching me off guard. He thinks the Well will send me to my time, but doesn't he want me to go? His question sounds like he wants me to stay.

I don't understand.

"The Well will send me to the year 1847 while I live in 2150," I answer and see him frown, so I proceed, "Lady Izayoi is terminally ill. I want to go to the future to fetch some modern medicine for her, but I'm not sure if the cure was invented at that time."

I heavily sigh and ruffle my hair in frustration. My eyes land on the sword on Sesshomaru's waist belt, so I smile and ask, "Do you have a name for it yet?"

"Tenryu," he answers.

"I don't see Tenseiga," I remark.

Sesshomaru takes a moment before saying, "I don't need it."

So like him. Sesshomaru won't budge, and Toga won't beg him to have it. Like father like son-

Huh!

Toga usually comes to me wanting something, so what is it that Sesshomaru wants? What if he doesn't want anything, and when I ask him, he will find an excuse of something to say? Can't I just think he misses me and wants to see me without asking for something?

"I need to speak with Athanasia."

Misses me, my ass.

▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬

Here I am back to schedule.

Why do I keep making Zuri feel helpless?  😔

See you later 🍬

-👑 Noorie.