Chapter 35

"You need to wake up, Zuri," Sesshomaru says with a firm expression and tone.

What do you mean by 'wake up'? This is not a dream. I filled the abyss with my creations to make it a better place to live, and I created you to accompany me. I hoped I would eventually forget about reality and live here peacefully since death isn't an option.

I fist my hand and frown while slowly replying, "You don't get to tell me what to do."

He narrows his eyes and glances around for a minute before saying, "You have been trapped in your mind for months, I understand, but-" He suddenly takes an angry step towards me and scolds, "This whole place is an illusion you shouldn't accept."

The moment those words leave his mouth, all my creations fade away, and I find myself stranded alone in the dark abyss again. "No, no," I frantically say while looking around, hoping to find at least one thing still standing.

All my hard work is gone. Not even the golden fireflies remain. In anger, I turn to where Sesshomaru was a minute ago, only to freeze in my place upon still being able to see him.

Why didn't he disappear like everything else?

I watch him as he reaches out to the sword hanging in his waistband, recognizing it as Tenseiga. When did Toga give it to him? But more importantly, why is he unsheathing it?

Sesshomaru makes eye contact with me for a split second before disappearing to appear right beside me and whispers, "This might hurt."

He slashes me with Tenseiga, and a wave of pain overtakes me. Suddenly, the space around me changes into less darkness, and the aura of the place smells like death. I take a quick glance at my surroundings to see two familiar faces.

"Is that you, child?" I hear Toga speak, and I immediately tear up.

I don't care if this is another illusion my brain is making up. All I care about is seeing familiar faces. It makes me feel alive again.

Toga gently approaches me and lends me his hand to get up. I hold on to it, but as soon as I get up, I feel something terrifying behind me. I unintentionally tighten my grip in fear. Toga obviously notices and says to reassure me, "You are safe here." He pauses and smiles while saying, "Why don't you meet him? He has something to tell you."

Who is he talking about?

I let go of Toga's hand and turn on my heels to look at the person Toga is talking about, but my body and mind immediately freeze upon seeing him- or it. What am I witnessing? A huge being, not less than a thousand floors high. The enormous figure suddenly moves, and I feel something approaching from my side that's when I find myself getting carried up by that being's gigantic hand. I lose my balance and fall on his palm. I quickly close my eyes terrified of what my eyes may see.

The movement suddenly stops, and for a few seconds, nothing happens, so I slowly open my eyes and see a mask. A very familiar mask, one of which I have seen in the book Athanasia treasures. This must be Anubis, but why is he this big? How did he go from being only a few inches taller than Athanasia to being like this?

"Athanasia told me you might get scared. I hid my face and changed my voice. I apologize for not being able to do anything with this body," Anubis says in a very unfamiliar voice than what I know from Athanasia's memories.

Even though he is that huge, he has a gentle aura. Maybe the feeling I had earlier was because of the dead surrounding the entire place. I sadly look at his palm and see the burnt flesh. He must have hidden his face because it looks like his hand too. It's sad that such a handsome God looks so dead and lonely.