Chapter 20

I panic upon hearing Kanade's answer because if this demigoddess died, I will forever be stuck in the world. Now, the word forever is far from simple because the Goddess of Immortality's soul lives in me. 

"But-" Before words could leave my lips, I see a long stiff sword against my throat, held by a frowning Kanade.

"How do you know Lady Anasewa's real name? She has been living her entire mortal life with the name Lady Samantha," Kanade firmly speaks while pushing her sword closer to my throat, threatening to pierce me at any given moment.

I glance from the corner of my eyes at Sesshomaru, who doesn't react much to the current situation. Does he think he is watching some kind of a play?

"I don't have an answer to your question. I simply came here upon someone's request," I answer, trying not to give out my identity.

She glances at Sesshomaru and back at me while saying with a raised eyebrow, "With the son of the demon lord of this land?"

"Tensaiga!" I utter to Sesshomaru, but the answer I hear doesn't come from him.

'It won't work. Gods and Goddess turn into gold dust the moment they die. There is nothing for Tensaiga to revive,' Athanasia answers me, leaving me to sigh upon picturing the beautiful yet sad scenery.

So what shall I do now? I think of the words so only Athanasia can hear me. 

'I will,' she answers and instantly takes over my body. She smirks and leaps into the air, standing behind Kanade who is stunned in her position unable to move a muscle.

"You know nothing, human," Athanasia whispers in Kanade's ear that's when Kanade gets control of her body and takes a dangerous turn to slash me, but Athanasia is somehow athletic and just jumps in the air, taking a step back.

Wow, I'm effortlessly flying.

"My my what a very uncooperative human we have here!" Athanasia sassily says while giggling to herself. 

What a lunatic! 

I ignore whatever words come out of Kanade's mouth because currently, my only focus is on Sesshomaru who is suddenly leaving the scene. Where is he going? Is that a bored face he is making? Wow, he got some nerves.

"Where are you going?" Athanasia asks Sesshomaru probably because she is annoyed by my constant thinking.

"I don't fancy killing humans," is his reply, leaving me to tilt my head. "And Ah-Un has been missing," he continues, confusing me even more.

Is he worried about Ah-Un? And not me!

Athanasia ignores Kanade and rushes towards Sesshomaru, as she utters to Kanade while cheerfully waving goodbye, "We'll continue this later, priestess." Athanasia scoffs and goofingly asks Sesshomaru, "You worry for your fellow Demon, but not for a Goddess? You should show me more respect and recognition."

"You are powerful enough to defend yourself," He answers, making Athanasia groan in irritation. I internally giggle as I watch them get at each other's throats.

Sesshomaru suddenly halts, so Athanasia looks ahead and giggles when she realizes that Sesshomaru is irritated by the scene ahead of us. Ah-Un is sitting on the grass while Half-demons are playing with him. Some of them climb on his back, trying to make him fly, but Ah-Un obviously refuses to listen to them and just allows them to play with his ears, tail and explore his scales.

Athanasia excitedly walks towards the children and leans to their level while saying, "Do you want to see what your island looks like from the above?"

The children immediately and cheerfully say yes to her. "Climb and hold on tightly," She commands the children, and as soon as she is sure the children are safe, she lightly pats Ah-Un to fly. 

Ah-Un flies off and just like the children, I enjoy the view as well from the window of my body's eyes. 'I see you are enjoying yourself too,' Athanasia remarks to me, so I hum.

'This place is beautiful. I wish I can protect this place from damnation,' I reply, and I hear her reassure me not to worry.

As we fly and enjoy the adventure, I glance down at the village and see Sesshomaru looking at us with a soft expression. What does that expression mean Sesshomaru? I wish you would allow me to know you more, and open up a tiny bit of your heart for me, but I guess that's a dream I won't be able to turn into reality even in this dream.

Suddenly, I feel myself holding onto the reins instead of Athanasia while still being at a relatively high area above ground. As I break my gaze from Sesshomaru, I see his expression change into a frown. I quickly look away and take control of the reins, leading Ah-Un to safely land in the village. The children's parents swarm around me, bombarding me with apologies for causing me stress over having to take care of their children.

"No need to worry. I was the one who invited them in the first place," I smile and ruffle the nearest kid's hair.

The children ran off before they could get more of their parents' scolding, leaving me to giggle at their goofiness.  After a minute or two, I see three of the children run towards me with a wide smile and something in their hands.

"Please accept these gifts from us," One of the children says as she hands me a long earring. "It's not something fancy, but the gem is rare. I hope you will like it," the child continues and smile while I try it on.

Surprisingly, it's not as heavy as it looks.  

Another child opens his hands, showing me a necklace made of gold with a small purple gem. "It looks like your eyes," The child says, making my heart flutter. 

"Thank you for your gifts, and in return I promise I will keep this island out of harm's way so you don't have to worry about a thing," I say with a smile. I know I won't stay here forever, but I will have to entrust this island to Toga, letting him know of the four war Gods who will turn this cheerful place into Purgatory. Toga won't say no to my final wish, will he?

A sad smile creeps on my face as I watch the children run around. Their parents smile and warn them not to fall and cause themselves unnecessary harm. I suddenly remember my father when he tried to teach me how to swim. I remember how careful he was whenever my face graced the water.

"Careful, Zuri. Don't swallow the water," he used to say.

I look down and hold my face in my palms as I remember my family. I wonder how they are now. Mom must be wondering when I will wake up, and Jane is probably crying and blaming herself. I wish I could tell them I'm fine.

"Are you going to mob all day long?" I hear Sesshomaru say so I release my face and fake a smile at him.

"Let's go to the shore. It's getting late anyway," I say and walk ahead of him while holding onto Ah-Un's rein. 

I smell the fresh air one last time and take in the beautiful landscape this Island is blessed with. In a few minutes, we reach the island's shore, and I take a seat on the sand as I watch the waves. My feet hurt, but I don't want to leave yet, so I decide to stay for a few more minutes, and thankfully Sesshomaru doesn't whine about it as he patiently waits for me to take in the view I am craving. 

"Where to next?" Sesshomaru softly asks as he looks at the waves without a hint of rushing in his tone.

Ah, I feel sleepy looking at the sea, my eyes get heavy as I mutter before losing consciousness, "We'll most likely need to find another member of the Coven."

Again, I'm not the one talking.

▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬

This chapter is a bit slow, but it's needed to build up a relationship/memories between Sesshomaru and Zuri/Athanasia 😉

Hopefully, Sesshomaru starts to grow some feels for our girl 🥹

See you later 🍬

-👑 Noorie.