Chapter 43

I glance at Sesshomaru, and Toga follows my gaze as well, watching Sesshomaru's restless behaviour which is giving us bad signs.

"Son, pour your focus on one thing," Toga states, aiming to give Sesshomaru back control of whatever is causing him to lose focus. However, from my perspective, I see that Toga's words don't reach Sesshomaru's chaotic mind. Therefore, I give Inuyasha back to Izayoi and head to the door to pull Sesshomaru back inside, but Toga quickly stops me, saying, "If you get any closer to him, he might harm you. His scent is extremely strong. You might be unable to see it, but his aura has changed. It's threatening even for me."

I peek back at Sesshomaru and give what Toga said some thought. No one knows what he is currently feeling or facing. According to Anubis, he would be seeing the dead, but Sesshomaru isn't the kind of demon to be scared of something as trivial as that, or is it not as trivial as I think it is?

'He needs to let go,' Athanasia cuts my thoughts short, and I narrow my eyes in confusion. Therefore, she elaborates, 'His body is going through some major changes, and he is trying to suppress that from happening. The solution is to let go.' 

I hum in understanding and notify Sesshomaru, "You need to stop resisting whatever your body is forcing you to do."

At that moment, Sesshomaru glances at me with the corner of his red eyes and disappears into thin air. His eyes were red as if he was amidst transformation. A moment later, a sudden loud and terrifying howl grabs everyone's attention, making Toga and Inukimi disappear as well. As I decide to go to the huge terrace in an attempt to follow them, Izayoi holds onto me, asking, "What am I supposed to do?"

I glance at Inuyasha and back at Izayoi, saying, "You need to stay here with Inuyasha till I come back and find a solution to this mess Sesshomaru partially created."

As I finish my words with Izayoi, I rush out of the library and to the huge terrace. I look at a distance and see enormous and slightly familiar silhouettes of the three dog demons. My eyes widen at how fast their silhouettes disappear or blend with the clouds as if they never existed once.

"Can any of you catch their scents?" I ask the guards while keeping my eyes on the horizon, hoping I can get a glimpse of them or maybe follow them. I'm terrified something might happen to any of them. Things are going to be unexpected starting this moment forward which is making me anxious. 

"Sorry, my lady. Their scent has changed, and it's difficult to recognize them since we didn't have enough time to carve their scents in our memories," The guard says apologetically.

I bite my lips and order the guards to give me an update the moment they catch a glimpse of any of them. However, the update never came. I stayed a whole restless day without any news. My anxiety of losing any of them grew stronger, and having Izayoi asking me every minute to find a solution for Inuyasha, was doubling that anxiety.

'This body needs rest,' Athanasia reminds me, making me huff because I already know that, but what am I supposed to do? I can't rest while being clueless as to what is happening with those three. I have been doing everything I can to keep them out of harm's way, yet now, they decide to find a way to keep me out of harm's way by putting their lives in total misery.

I don't get why they are doing that, and it's driving me crazy.

A knock on the door to Toga's study pulls my attention to the door. Irgal enters and says, "My Lady, I need to give you something of importance." He comes closer and hands me a scroll, so I open it to read, whilst Irgal is saying, "My Lord told me to give you this scroll once he leaves the palace unexpectedly. I was informed with what's in the scroll, so allow me to say this."

Irgal hits the floor with his long spear he uses as his weapon, making a resonating sound all over the palace and says as an announcement, "With the power given to me by our great lord, Inu no Taisho, I hereby give Lady Zuri full authority to all state's affairs. Until the day our great lords return, Lady Zuri is our ruler."

I freeze and shivers run all over my body with every word Irgal says. He kneels in front of me, and I suddenly feel a heavy weight on my shoulder, forcing me to slightly arch my body. 'Keep your body straight,' Athanasia warns me and continues, 'What you are feeling right now is the aura of the demons against that decision.' 

A few minutes later, Irgal excuses himself, and I take my time reading the words Toga carved on the scroll. He mentions that after one day of an unexpected disappearance with no date of return, Zuri is to be in charge of all the state's affairs. I rub my temples in frustration and decide to take a seat.

Toga didn't give me a heads-up for something like this. Why is it even me? He has Izayoi who is supposed to be the only candidate. He didn't even write Athanasia's name. No offence to you, but I find it weird. Even if he doesn't have feelings for you, you are the one with powers, not me.

I sigh as I get no answer to my overflow of thoughts. I put the scroll aside and take a deep breath, trying to figure out what I should do from now onwards. Paperwork? But I doubt there is something like that here. Hmm, I might ask Irgal.

Wait-

How about I fulfil Anubis's wish first? The library needs to change into Inuyasha's room, and by doing that, I will be able to put Izayoi's mind at ease, at least regarding the matter related to Inuyasha since I have no clue what's going on with Toga.

One problem at a time will do.

I leave Toga's study, which I've been confining myself in during the past day and head to the library where Izayoi has been uncomfortably staying for Inyasha's sake. 

"Zuri, do you have any news, dear," Izayoi asks, and I feel sorry for her when I see her dark eye bags. She must have been awake all day as well since I haven't taken Inuyasha from her once and only focused on finding those three.

I put my hand in front of me and say, "Give me Inuyasha. Get some rest, and I will take care of everything."  

She hesitantly gives me Inuyasha, stating, "I heard what your guard said. Are you sure everything is all right?"

I hum with a smile, reassuring her, "No need to worry about anything. You are still recovering. Please take full care of yourself. I'd hate to get an earful from your husband later." Izayoi gently approaches me and gives me a silent hug which I interpret as a gesture of everything will be fine. Yes, everything will be fine as soon as Toga gets back here safe and sound. 

It takes nearly two days for the library to turn into Inuyasha's room, more like our room since I'm the one who gets to spend the most time with him. Every night for nearly ten days, I get the same report from a different guard, telling me they failed to get any news.

I wish they'd give me a deadline, so I can put my mind at ease and patiently wait for them.

How much more time do they need?

▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬

5 hours late for the update, but yup, I made it.

Hope you are having a nice day 🥰

See you later 🍬

-👑 Noorie.