Chapter 61

The resounding echo of the door's closure reverberates through the grand palace as Athanasia, engulfed in fury, abruptly exits the study. The palpable thud of her footsteps underscores her turbulent emotions, and I opt for silence, recognizing the legitimacy of her anger, especially now that she comprehends the looming threat from the Northern Gods.

Athanasia stomps her way out of the castle and to the huge garden, where she draws in the fresh morning air. "Your mind appears burdened with myriad thoughts," Inukimi astutely observes. Athanasia, meeting Inukimi's gaze with a sidelong glance, releases a weary sigh.

"When am I not?" Athanasia retorts, pausing before elaborating, "Toga advocates for peace, urging caution, but I believe a more direct approach is imperative because planning things will be futile since they will somehow be anticipating our moves."

"What about Sesshomaru's opinion?" Inukimi asks when she finds his name remains unmentioned.

Athanasia rolls her eyes and firmly replies, "I'm done listening to him."

"That is why?" She curiously asks.

Athanasia scoffs and asserts, "His transgressions against Zuri are reason enough for me to distance myself."

Inukimi, offering a subtle hum, prepares to depart, halting momentarily to impart a cryptic warning, "Sesshomaru is a danger to himself, keep that in mind." 

Perplexed, I frown at her words and remember all the dangers he put himself in just for a stupid cause, but what does that have to do with what Athanasia said? 

"It matters not. Enough thinking about him and let's find a way to save Ryumaru," Athanasia directs, steering the conversation towards a more pragmatic course.

Seated on the grass, Athanasia outlines her plan, suggesting, 'We'll have to go the North. I'm thinking of sending word to the traids to meet me there but I have my doubts that they'll stop me from going.'

'Why do we have to tell them? And why do you think it's a good idea to go the north without expecting them to do to us what they did to Ryumaru? Did you forget that we killed Dionysus!' I inquire, grappling with confusion.

Athanasia laughs her ass off as confusion washes over me. I groan before she elucidates, 'Did you really believe that he died? Dionysus is a God dear, he won't die by cutting off his head or limbs, they will just regenerate. He probably suffered a little bit after meeting Anubis, but yeah, I guess that was Sesshomaru's purpose. To remind him that the God of Death is on our side.'

As Athanasia finishes her explanation, I am left dumbfounded by the revelation that Dionysus might still be alive. The complexity of the divine world bewilders me, and I can't help but wonder what other secrets are hidden within the layers of their existence.

'So, what you're saying is that we might have just angered a powerful God without actually causing any permanent harm?' I ask, trying to wrap my head around the situation.

'Fret not; Dionysus is of minimal concern. Our focus should centre on Zeus and Odin,' She states while laying her head back on the grass with eyes closed. 

We stay silent for a few minutes before she starts saying, 'Do you think Toga will put aside rationality and come to us if I leave to the North?'

Is she really thinking of going there alone? Doesn't that mean she is surrendering to whatever fate those Gods want of her? The notion of surrendering to the whims of the Gods baffles me, especially when the alternative remains unexplored.

'I am not surrendering. I am just pushing those who care about Zuri to act-' She halts and opens her eyes, looking at the sky and sternly continues while gazing up at Sesshomaru, "because everyone here is a coward."

After a few seconds of holding eye contact with Sesshomaru, she breaks the intense gaze. Athanasia rises, adjusting her attire before soaring out of the palace and into the dense forest. Aware of a lingering presence, let me guess, it's Sesshomaru. Zero effort in on trying to hide his presence.

"You are aware that nothing you say can stop me!"Athanasia declares, forging ahead without giving an inkling about who is following us.

As expected it is Sesshomaru who shows up in front of us and grabs my arm. However, Athanasia tries to remove her hand from his, but he just tightens his grip while looking into my eyes. Athanasia scoffs and switches bodies with me. I frown at him and stop resisting, but decide to say, "You are hurting me."

"Good," He surprisingly retorts, maintaining an unyielding grip.

Continuing my warning, I state, "If you keep hurting me, Athanasia won't let it slide."

"She already let it slide the moment she switched bodies with you," He answers back, provoking my frustration.

I groan in anger and hit his shoulder with my other hand, just to show him that I am in no mood to play, but his stoic expression and grip remain unchanged as if I'm talking to a wall. I look into his golden eyes, seeing how empty they look and realize that his presence here is just a distraction.

Athanasia is right. We need to go to the North and save Ryumaru by forcing Toga to go into action. Sesshomaru will never be selfless and act out of compassion. How stupid of me! I am not Rin who made him glimpse hints of compassion for other beings. Unlike me, she was so innocent and obedient. Sesshomaru needs someone who will patiently wait for him, and when he comes back, no questions asked. I can't believe it took me this long to finally make peace with this information.

I chuckle at my stupidity, few tears follow and Sesshomaru slowly let go of my hand. I know how pathetic I look right now, but let these be the last tears I shed for him. "I'm done," I say as I look at him.  He gives me a bewildered look so I elaborate, "I'm done with obsessing over you. I might not remember how we became lovers but I have a hunch that I confessed my feelings for you and you decided to give it a go. Therefore, you are free from this obligation."

His expression remains stoic, yet a subtle clenching of his fist hints at a wounded pride. Whether my assessment is accurate or not, I proceed with newfound resolve, acknowledging the necessity of breaking free from the shackles of this unreciprocated love.

I walk past him neither of us exchange a word or a glance. The thread of fate that once connected us breaks as I proceed with a calm heart and a clear mind, untouched by emotions. The only one I need is Athanasia.

'Let's head to the North,' Athanasia declares, swiftly switching bodies with me and soaring through the sky as if pursued by lightning. It takes an hour for us to catch a glimpse of the North. However, Athanasia frowns and comes to a halt mid-air.

'Everything has changed,' She firmly states and activates her vision power in attempt to get a glimpse of anything that could open our eyes to what comes ahead. However, the moment she turns it on, I feel her heart pounding like crazy. 

I look in the same direction as she and see through her eyes, noticing four auras; red, lavendar, bronze and emerald mixed with black. 'Red is Zeus. Lavendar is Dionysus. Bronze is for Apollo, and the last one is Odin. His aura has changed; I could barely recognize him,' Athanasia informs me. 

'Now I understand why they sent Dionysus,' She comments, and I listen carefully, uncertain about the implications of her observation.

'Odin is dying.'