Chapter 56

Wait-

"Why are you pushing me away?" I desperately ask, halting him from running away.

Sesshomaru takes a moment before turning in my direction and takes a few steps towards me. If someone sees us who doesn't know Sesshomaru right this moment, they will think he is just walking towards me, but I can feel the anger in his steps and can see the hurt in his eyes.

He threateningly leans towards my ears and whispers, "Remember your promise before asking questions."

I freeze unable to think clearly because all that overwhelms my mind is one question.

Why is he this angry with me?

I understand that forgetting what we shared for the past seven years must be breaking his heart, but that doesn't mean my feelings for him have disappeared. I too want to remember what we have shared. What do I do?

'Are you as clueless as I?' I ask Athanasia who has been silent for a long while.

'Being clueless is getting on my nerves too. Give me some time to think of a solution,' She says and I sigh in annoyance. 

I glance at the sky and close my eyes, thinking of all the possibilities. Am I in a romantic relationship with Sesshomaru? It's so hard to imagine Sesshomaru all lovey-dovey. I shake my head to erase all the cringe scenes playing in my mind.

What did I promise him?

I could have promised him anything, but what is the one promise that I broke which made him this angry with me?

I groan in defeat as I find no answers to my questions.

"Zuri!" I hear Inuyasha call my name so I turn in his direction.

Again, he called me just Zuri. I raise my eyebrow at him as I watch him approach me.

"Are you mad at me?" He innocently asks, and I give no reaction, waiting to hear what he has to say. "I can help you remember. I'm sorry I heard your conversation with my brother," He shocks me.

How can he help? He is just a kid. Damn it. I sigh and rub my temples in frustration, hoping to think of something to say that won't hurt him.

"Listen Inuyasha, I'm really not in the mood for jokes-"

"I'm not joking," He yells at me after cutting me off. Wow, how interesting! My relationship with Inuyasha seems stronger than what I share with Sesshomaru.

"Okay, fine. I'm listening," I surrender and take a seat on the grass.

Inuyasha's face lights up and moves in front of me, saying in excitement, "You used to tell me stories about the Triad Gods. Let's meet them."

I look at him dumbfoundedly. Is he serious? That is his solution, speaking with those three and God knows where they are. For a moment, I lower my head, close my eyes and raise my head again to face the idiot in front of me.

"I have no clue where they are, and I doubt they'll have a solution. Now leave me alone to figure something out," I sho him away, and as I turn to look ahead, I feel Inuyasha slipping right beside me to lie down on the grass. I glance at him, receiving his victorious smile.

That jackass.

I lay down on the grass as well and close my eyes. 

"It's been a while since we had our alone time," Inuaysha says, confusing me. Of course, he catches on and elaborates, "Brother's presence never left your side. Now he is gone."

I feel furious being in the dark. I'm mad that I have no recollection of any of our memories and it's making me feel more guilty than mad. I place my arm on my head in shame and say, "Ahh- He must be truly angry." 

"Have I ever told you anything about my personal life with Sesshomaru?" I ask not expecting an answer.

I hear Inuyasha hum and say after a moment of thinking, "Even though we sleep together, you never told me anything."

We what?

I jump off the ground and hurriedly say, "You still sleep in my room!"

Inuyasha sits up and answers in confusion, "Yes, we have talked about that-" He pauses and sighs, before murmuring, "But of course you don't remember that conversation."

I stare at Inuyasha, trying to process the information. We still sleep together! Does Sesshomaru know of that matter? I mean does he accept that? What else have I forgotten? I feel a mixture of frustration and curiosity bubbling within me.

"Inuyasha, I need you to tell me everything," I demand, my tone more assertive now.

Inuyasha sighs and gestures for me to sit back down as he starts by saying, "Brother knows of the matter. We haven't discussed it with him, but I know that he is turning a blind eye for my sake."

"Do you still depend on the Meido stone?" I ask.

He holds it tightly and answers with a nod, stating, "I depend on both you and the Meido stone. Taking it off feels like my soul is getting ripped apart."

"Were there any major events that I need to know of?" I lead him on to give me what I need to know.

"Mother is extremely sick and has been in her room for months. Father forbade me from visiting her but you helped me once to meet her. She got furious and called Father. Yup, we got in trouble more times than I can count. Hmm-" He pauses to think.

I carefully listen to him as he shares his precious memories with me. His mother is slipping away, meaning he only has me. Is that why I promised not to take the Meido Stone from him?

I slowly approach him, tightly hugging him.

"Zuri!" Inuyasha rustles, trying to get out of my embrace, but I don't let him go.

"I'm sorry for not remembering what we shared-"

 To where we left everything off seven years ago.

Sesshomaru's words suddenly echo in my head. Is that it? He is mad because I forgot all that we shared. Did I promise him that I will never forget our memories?

I need to find Sesshomaru.

I let go of Inuyasha and rush towards the Bone-Eater's Well. Fuck it, I'm still unable to fly. How egoistic are you Athanasia! As I get closer to the Well, I see Sesshomaru's familiar silhouette standing by it. I increase my pace, determined to face Sesshomaru. 

I refuse to end things that I haven't started yet.

"I remember," I heavily breathe, not giving myself a moment to catch my breath. "M-more like, I figured it out," I elaborate.

Sesshomaru's gaze remains fixed on the Bone-Eater's Well as I approach him, the tension in the air palpable. He doesn't turn to acknowledge my presence, but I can sense his awareness of me.

"I remember," I repeat, my voice stronger this time.

He finally shifts his gaze from the well to me, his expression guarded. "What is it that you remember?"

I take a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. "I remember our promise. The promise not to forget our love, our memories. I know why you're angry now, and I'm sorry."

Sesshomaru's stoic exterior doesn't waver, but there's a flicker of something in his eyes – a mix of relief and a hint of vulnerability. I know your pride is hurt, but please be forgiving this time. I closely approach him, reaching out to hold his hand. Thankfully, he doesn't retract it.

"I didn't do it intentionally. I know it's not an excuse, but will you hear me out?" I pause, noticing his hand lightly gripping mine. Therefore, I continue, "Remember when I felt confused after skipping three years when we went after Kagutsuchi? The only thing that comforted me was that we went through the same thing. Now, I feel alone. I feel lost in this world where I can't find a home. Whenever I start to feel at home in the palace, something disturbs that flow."

I take a glance up at Sesshomaru who states, "You are my home."

I freeze with my eyes wide open upon hearing those unexpected words.

"They were your words."