Chapter 33

"Hey, you are sleeping in broad daylight again?" A thick yet friendly and unfamiliar voice wakes me from my sleep.

When did I fall asleep, and why does it seem I'm not indoors? 

In confusion, I open my eyes, finding myself under a huge tree with an unfamiliar man smiling at me. I lightly push him and say while ruffling my hair, "How many times do I have to tell you not to wake me up in the middle of my sleep?" I yawn.

In panic, I keep my eyes stuck on the faceless person in front of me. What is going on here? I take a quick glance at the surrounding area, but nothing looks familiar. 

"We have much work to do," The man in front of me says, so I turn my attention to him.

"Come on, Anubis. Give me a break. We have been working for weeks nonstop," I whine and lean back on the tree once again.

Anubis?

I take a better look at the man in front of me, seeing a very unfamiliarly handsome one. A tall well-built man with a slightly tanned body, shirtless but with golden armbands tightened around his bulky arms. My attention goes next to his silky dark brown hair that extends to his elbows. His eyes bring me to a halt at the familiar golden glow. He looks nothing like the illustrations on the library ceiling or the future where I came from.

I watch as Athanasia get dragged by Anubis to a house near the forest we are in. Athanasia pulls her feet to the nearest chair and rests her head on the table while Anubis slams a familiar book in front of her, only to hear her whine more.

Is this a memory in the form of a dream? 

"You have to do all the illustrations. You know I'm not gentle with the ink," Anubis gives her a slay smile, making me internally giggle at their relationship which seems questionable.

Were they just friends?

"I'm so sleepy, Anubis," Athanasia says and our eyelids flicker, but I hear an anxious Anubis waking me up, telling me to run as far as I can. 

His eyes are filled with worry, making me feel worried as well. I'm not sure what is happening but it seems like some time has passed. His face seems less healthy, and this place I am in feels cold.

"What about you? What will you do about Zeus's request?" I anxiously ask while holding onto him. "Please, come with me," I desperately beg him, but he only wears a fake smile, reassuring me everything will be fine. 

Tears roll down my face, and I feel him pull me into a hug, but as soon as I pull out, I feel my breathing hitch in the darkness while I run as fast as I can all alone. Tears drip like endless rain as I stumble and find it hard to get up. I look behind me, hoping to see a glimpse of Anubis, but only darkness follows me on this lonely night.

I'm scared.

I lose consciousness and open my eyes to find myself in a cave, or maybe a mountain. I look around and find two young girls approaching me. "Do you need anything, my lady?" They ask in unison.

Aren't those the twin coven sisters I met at the Musubi mountain?

"Did you pick up the book I asked for?" I speak haggardly and with a lowered head. My heart feels so heavy.

"Yes, my lady," one of the girls says while the other goes to fetch the book and hands it over to me as soon as she comes back. 

I sadly look at the book that holds so many memories and turn to an empty page at the end of it. I damp the pen in the ink and start writing. With every word I write, Athanasia utters the word sorry with sympathy towards her best friend. She must feel tormented as much as he does.