Chapter 32

"How are you here?" Inukimi asks with genuine surprise.

Why is she surprised by my presence and not by Sesshomaru's? Am I not supposed to be in this time? Did I return to my time, or did something bad happen to me? And wait a minute, did my presence in the past affect the future? I'm not mentioned in the anime, though.

"Lord Inu no Taisho brought us here to run him an errand. Kindly, don't mind our presence," I politely say and take a step forward to leave, but her words stop me.

"You won't find what you are seeking," Inukimi announces.

I fist my hand as I get struck by the truth I have been afraid to face. I had a feeling that we couldn't find the cure, so why do I feel disappointed?

"I remember Toga telling me not long ago about feeling guilty for forcing you to look for Lady Izayoi's cure. I also remember you coming back empty-handed. You stayed in your room for days, feeling angry at yourself for giving both Toga and Inuyasha hope. Izayoi's death is inevitable. Even though you are a Goddess, you can't give her life," Inukimi gently says and approaches me. She slowly lifts my chin with her finger and smiles while saying, "You did more than enough, dear."

I feel the tears rushing down my eyes, but I can't turn away. Inukimi's eyes are glittering with the rising sun behind her, blinding me with the beauty and nearly drying my tears. I smile back and release a hesitant hum, reassuring her that I won't shun myself out as I did in her past timeline.

She is right. I did more than enough.

"May I ask something before we go back?" I ask, and she wholeheartedly accepts my request. I fist my hand and release a sigh, hesitant to ask, "Is Inu no Taisho doing well?"

"He is," She calmly answers.

"Did Sesshomaru achieve his goal?"

"I assume he did."

"Is Inuyasha happy?"

"He is delighted."

I unfist my hand, feeling relieved. Everything is fine. I don't need to know about Rin, Kikyo or Kagome because I'm sure if everyone is okay, it means those three were already in their life. I'm not sure about the child-

"Aren't you going to ask about yourself?" Inukimi suddenly asks, making me widen my eyes. For some reason, words get stuck in my throat, and I only hear her words. "You seem to have no interest in what happens to you," She insists I ask, but I only gulp to gather my strength.

"I can tell you what happened to you so you can-"

"Enough," I yell to stop her from saying any spoilers about me. My breathing suddenly becomes unstable, and I clench my heart. I'm afraid. No, I'm terrified. "I'm sorry Lady Inukimi, but Sesshomaru and I should head back now," I struggle to say and walk past Sesshomaru while stumbling in my steps.

As I walk, I rest one hand on the wall for support with every step while the other keeps clenching my heart. Damn it, my breathing isn't calming down. I sharply exhale and rest my other on the wall while I keep forcing myself to inhale and exhale, aiming to put my breathing back to normal rhythm.

I feel Sesshomaru standing behind me the whole time without uttering a word. I certainly appreciate his manners, but merely standing there isn't helping me relax. I release one last exhale before feeling my breathing coming back to normal.

"We can leave now?" I hear the annoyance in Sesshomaru's tone, so I angrily turn to his direction and narrow my eyes at him.

"Your mother caused this, so be less bitter," I utter, trying to mask my anxiety with sassiness. I certainly don't want to stress myself out again; I don't think I can handle another panic attack.

I turn on my heels, and just as I am about to move forward, Sesshomaru asks, "What scares you, Zuri?"

I sadly lower my head and decide to stay quiet. The strong wind brushes against the two of us, breaking the silence for a moment. Sesshomaru doesn't move; he is probably waiting for an answer. He is just like his mother, so persistent and curious. He is so elegant and noble. No one can deny his beauty, but who am I to fall in love with him? Who am I to question if there is going to be a story for us? Who am I to wish for such a creation to fall in love with me?

I am afraid of too many things Sesshomaru and I don't know where I should start.

I look at the sky and say, "If you tell me your fears, I will tell you mine." I wait for a few seconds and proceed after a sigh, "I guessed as much. You have no fears. Anyway, let's head back. We mustn't keep your father waiting."

We walk in silence to the Higurashi's house and again jump over the high wall to reach the Well, which is, for some reason, in the open air, unlike the anime inside a storage room. I take one last glance at Kagome's future house and smile. Hopefully, one day, I will live long enough to meet her.

I turn to jump into the Well with Sesshomaru right behind me, but someone suddenly says, "Who are you?"

Oh shit!

I quickly jump into the Well and make eye contact with the man who said those words, only to see him mouth out the word Demons with a shocked expression. I quickly shut my eyes, feeling myself free fall and like earlier Sesshomaru holds me by the waist, but this time, I feel him jump us out of the Well without giving me a chance to land inside the Well.

"My Lord! You took too long. I thought you forgot about me," I hear Jaken's whining and annoying voice. I roll my eyes as Sesshomaru puts me down and starts walking away.

"Are you leaving already? Won't you deliver the news to your father, yourself?" I ask because no, I don't want to give Toga bad news. Man, I don't want to give anyone bad news.

"He better hear it from you," Sesshomaru coldly answers and walks away with Jaken struggling to catch up with him.

I sigh and head to Ah-Un, who was waiting for me with Jaken. A few minutes later, we land near the throne room, which is the closest to Toga's study, but I find it weird that he isn't present there. I ask the guards and suggest finding him in either the Arena or Izayoi's room, but after nearly 15 minutes of searching, I don't find him.

Man, where the hell is he?

Suddenly, an idea sparks in my mind, so I grab one of the maids and ask for Inuyasha's room. They gladly tell me his location. Upon reaching it, I softly knock and then open the door, telling the guards to keep quiet in case Inuyasha is sleeping.

I see Toga sitting on the bed with Inuyasha sleeping in his arms. It's a scene I have never dreamt of seeing. I'm not even sure if there is fan art for such a scene. Sigh. As soon as Toga feels my presence, he glances at me with a smile. Please don't smile! I come bearing bad news. Stop making me feel guiltier than I already am.

I take a few hesitant steps towards him and hide my gaze from his. How can anyone say such news while making eye contact?

"You seem agitated," he pauses, then remarks, "And empty-handed." He sighs and puts down Inuyasha while stating, "You don't have to say anything. Thank you for trying." Toga gets up for the bed, and as he intends to leave the room, he pauses to pat my head for reassurance.

Ah~

I don't deserve that man either. 

▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬•▬

How many of you actually thought Zuri would find a cure for Izayoi? 😂✌️ I'm sorry guys, but she is destined to die.

Toga is so sweeeeeeet. I love that man so much.

See you later 🍬

-👑 Noorie.