Chapter 54

I yawn, stretching my arms, and notice Inuyasha's absence beside me. He must have woken up and sneaked out without waking me up. I smile at the thought of his concern. That boy is growing up too fast for me to catch up. I sigh as I get up from bed, rearrange my hair, wash away the sleep from my eyes, and then leave my room.

Walking through the long hallway, I spot Toga, so I increase my pace to catch up to him. "Good morning," I say brightly, receiving a smile from him.

"Good morning to you too," He answers.

I glance at him from the corner of my eyes and ask, "Did Lady Inukimi brief you on Inuyasha's situation?"

"She did," He replies, and I nod, going back to hear only the sounds of our heels hitting the marbled floor.

If a mere half-demon from Anubis's bloodline has such a great power, what powers does Toga hold? And what powers has Inukimi gained as well? I only know that of Sesshomaru's. 

Should I ask? 

I bite my lip and decide to utter, "Inuyasha gained uncontrollable powers from Anubis as well as Sesshomaru." I pause for a second before proceeding, "What about yours?"

Toga halts and casts a glance my way, his eyes pleading with me to cease pushing him to reveal his powers. The air is thick with an unspoken fear surrounding his abilities. Despite knowing that everyone's powers have grown formidable, I can't help but wonder why everyone is reluctant to unveil the depths of his capabilities, as if warning me not to delve into the unknown.

"If you're truly curious, follow me," He says, striding ahead of me. Silently, Toga guides me through the labyrinthine corridors to the dungeons. A sense of trepidation lingers; I hope I won't be confronted with a ghastly scene of corpses, unwilling to endure the trauma it might inflict.

Toga signals the guard, prompting the gate to open automatically. As darkness envelops me, I lean against the cold stone wall for support, relying on Toga's faint footsteps to guide me. Anxiety intensifies, beads of perspiration form on my forehead. Toga has succeeded in instilling a disconcerting unease within me.

Abruptly, Toga halts, and I engrossed in my thoughts, collide with him. I offer a slight apology, receiving no acknowledgement. The ensuing silence becomes oppressive; he's making me regret my inquiries. I Internally sigh and attempt to dispel my mounting anxiety.

As my thoughts run wild, a sudden source of light emanates from both sides of the hallway. Fire torches illuminate the place, yet the glow fails to assuage my unease.

"There's no turning back now," Toga monotones as he walks up to the first cell. I follow his gaze, witnessing a massive figure approaching the bars, filling the space between him and Toga. He lifts his gaze to meet the demon's and commands, "I order you to hand me your heart."

I widen my eyes at Toga's unexpected request. As I move towards him, the demon retorts, "What makes you think I will obey you now?"

Ignoring the demon, Toga turns on his heels, approaches me and says, "Don't be disappointed by what you witness." I narrow my eyes at him, unable to comprehend his words. Toga simply walks away, leaving me dumbfounded. I look back at the demon, who shifts from yelling threats to Toga to loud groans of pain. The demon's body catches fire out of nowhere, burning until it turns into ash, leaving empty chains behind.

What is that supposed to mean?

Frowning, I rush after Toga, halting in front of him and forcing him to stop. "You have to explain what just happened right now. I am at a loss," I urge him to speak.

"My words are absolute. If not followed, what you witnessed will follow," Toga stoically answers, making me gulp. His power is to compel others to do what he says. I don't understand the extent of it, but it's not as bad as Sesshomaru's God Killing Venom. Why is he feeling overwhelmed by such great power?