Chapter 53

As I glance at Inuyasha, a sense of apprehension creeps over me. How is he connected to the opened path that led us out of the underworld? Anubis didn't grant him any special abilities for such a task, and sharing the Meido Stone with Inukimi shouldn't empower him to control the underworld. Unless, of course, he harbors a dormant power over which he has no control. Is it the only power he has no control over?

In my eyes, Inuyasha appears to be nothing more than a child, innocent and unaware of the potentially dangerous powers within him. Much like Sesshomaru, who struggles with his uncontrollable God-Killing Poison, Inuyasha now finds himself grappling with the unpredictable ability to open pathways to the underworld. His recent feat, guiding us out of that perilous space, is more luck than skill. What if Kagutsuchi was still lingering in the underworld realm? The consequences could be catastrophic.

The Meido Stone, now in Inuyasha's possession, seems to be a ticking time bomb. I can't stand idly by, so I hurry towards Inuyasha with the intention of removing the necklace. As I gently try to get rid of it, he shifts in his sleep and blinks at me with sleepy eyes, questioning my actions.

Sesshomaru observes the scene in silence, his eyes reflecting the uncertainty of the situation. I fake a smile and tenderly run my fingers through Inuyasha's hair, offering a comforting facade. "You seemed uncomfortable in your sleep, so I thought it's best to take off your necklace. You can put it on the nightstand and wear it again when you wake up," I suggest, sweet-talking him until he nods in agreement. With caution, Inuyasha removes the necklace and places it on the nightstand, allowing me to tuck him back into bed.

Turning to Sesshomaru, I feel the weight of his silent inquiries. I click my tongue in frustration and pull him by the wrist to the balcony, panic evident in my demeanor. "Inuyasha can't control his powers. He unconsciously led us out of the underworld, and Lady Inukimi unknowingly gave him the catalyst for his abilities. Just like you needed the Meido Stone three years ago to summon that portal, Inuyasha is awakening a power he can't control. If you hadn't obliterated Kagutsuchi, he could have inadvertently brought him back," I explain, my words hanging in the air as Sesshomaru remains silent.

"The Meido Stone must be kept out of his reach," I urge, locking eyes with Sesshomaru, silently pleading for his agreement.

He sighs, his gaze shifting to his wrist. I realize I have unconsciously held onto his wrist, and I quickly release it, offering a brief apology. Sesshomaru speaks with a mix of resignation and warning, "Mother must be cautious in her choice of gifts. And to whom they are given."

Before I can respond, we get interrupted by Inukimi's ethereal voice, resonating through the air. A sense of nostalgia washes over me; it's been a while since I last heard her sing. I steal a glance at Sesshomaru, who seems to loosen the tension in his fists. He lowers his head, and I can't help but frown, wondering about the emotions that stir within him.

"She is calling for you," I whisper softly, acknowledging the unspoken guilt that lingers between mother and son.

Without saying a word, Sesshomaru flies down towards Inukimi who is at the cliff, showing from my balcony. I grab Inuyasha's necklace and rush after Sesshomaru. As I get closer to them, I decrease my pace, watching how Sesshomaru decides to keep his distance from his mother, not putting an end to her song.

Inukimi turns in Sesshomaru's direction and elegantly walks towards him with a smile drawn on her face. Sesshomaru breaks the silence. "Mother," he addresses Inukimi with a calm yet authoritative tone. 

"I see that you have finally decided to meet your mother," She calmly says, yet with a sad tone.

I exchange a subtle glance with Sesshomaru, silently urging him to speak. "Mother, the Meido Stone," He begins.

Come on, Sesshomaru. The Meido Stone is not the main topic now.

Inukimi's eyes narrow slightly, sensing the unease. "What about it?" She inquires, her gaze shifting between Sesshomaru and me.

Sesshomaru breaks the tension by saying, "The power bestowed upon Inuyasha through the Meido Stone. It is a force he cannot control. He unknowingly opened a path to the underworld, and had Kagutsuchi has still been present, the consequences would have been dire."

Inukimi's expression tightens, her concern deepening. "What proof do you have for such concern?" She narrows her eyebrows in confusion.

"He carries the same scent that guided us out of the underworld," Sesshomaru announces, leaving Inukimi to sigh in disbelief.

I step forward, attempting to alleviate the tension. "Lady Inukimi, we believe it's crucial to keep the Meido Stone out of Inuyasha's reach until he learns to control this newfound power. It's for everyone's safety," I suggest diplomatically.

Inukimi nods in understanding, her demeanor shifting from concern to determination. "You are right. I shall take measures to ensure the Meido Stone does not inadvertently bring harm," She declares, her resolve unwavering.

Sesshomaru turns on his heels to leave the scene, making me narrow my eyes at him. Isn't he going to relieve his guilty heart and make amends?

"I have something to give you, Sesshomaru," Inukimi utters, halting both Sesshomaru and my train of thought. She walks towards him and takes out something from her sleeve that looks like a necklace. Sesshomaru doesn't ask questions and allows his mother to put the gift around his neck.

"One day you will know the purpose of this," She utters with a warm smile and proceeds, "There is nothing for me to forgive."

I internally smile, hearing her reassuring words. She knows how guilty he must feel, and she knows his pride won't let him apologize. It's a waste that I haven't witnessed the real mother-son relationship those two have throughout the anime.

Sesshomaru doesn't take another second before flying off to God knows where. I watch him as he fades into the clouds. "I'll find a way to take back my gift from Inuyasha. He won't be happy if he doesn't find it on him when he wakes up," She says, distracting me from watching Sesshomaru. She glances at my hand, and I remember grabbing Inuyasha's necklace.

"Ah- I panicked. I will put it back. Kindly, don't take long before finding a way," I formally say and slightly bow, excusing myself to go back to my room. I'm truly glad that she is healthy. Three years must have been enough time for her wounds to heal.

As I climb on the bed and lay beside Inuyasha, watching his peacefully sleeping face, a lingering question gnaws at me. What other secrets might the Meido Stone hold, and how deeply entwined is Inuyasha with the powers of the underworld?

Half-demons shouldn't hold such great powers since backfiring is evident.