Chapter 38

'You kissed Toga!' I inquire of Athanasia, who doesn't seem so agitated by my outburst.

'It was in the heat of the moment,' She shrugs.

'Are you out of your wits?' I holler at her.

Athanasia rolls her eyes and surprises me with her words, 'You should be thanking me.' I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, demanding an explanation, so she proceeds, 'Before scolding me, you should have thought why Sesshomaru was angry about that.'

I freeze for a moment upon hearing her words. She is right. Why is Sesshomaru angry about what happened? I glance at him and question myself why he isn't gone yet! At this point in the conversation, he would always leave my room without giving me a chance to explain myself.

Why is he requiring an explanation this time?

"Do I owe you a reason?" I calmly ask and see him fist his hand without giving an answer. "What Athanasia does isn't of my concern. I owe you nothing Sesshomaru. If that's the only reason behind your presence here, you can leave," I proceed and walk towards the mirror.

However, Sesshomaru suddenly stands behind me with a stoic expression. "Do you know how I can differentiate between you and Athanasia?" He pauses, and I wait for his answer while looking at his reflection in the mirror. Unexpectedly, he leans towards my ears, bringing shivers to my body as he proceeds, "Zuri's heartbeat is never steady when I'm around."

I widen my eyes in embarrassment, feeling my cheeks turning all shades of red, but thankfully he disappears after throwing such a huge bomb in my face. My knees betray me, and I meet the floor from how embarrassed I feel.

Why am I surprised? I already confessed my love to him. Why do I suddenly feel like this? Huh! Is he telling me that since I have feelings for him, I'm obligated to keep myself away from all men? I don't understand any of this.

'If you keep having such stupid thoughts, you'll never understand anything,' Athanasia blurts out.

'Is there something you know which I don't?' I ask her.

'It won't be fun if I told you,' She says while yawning, 'I need sleep.'

"Hey," I call, but she has already left. I sigh in defeat and get up then look at the food tray, remembering my main goal. Yes, I need to recharge now more than ever.

After grabbing a few bites, I leave the room, seeing Irgal and the one-eyed demon walking back to their posts. A feeling of relief washes over me as I head to the garden to find Izayoi. To be honest, Athanasia's words made me feel worried when she mentioned how Izayoi is hiding her illness. I know there is no cure for it, but hiding her pain is not a solution.

As expected, I find her there, but as I approach her, I find Toga with her so I quickly take a step back, giving them space. However, the moment I turn to leave, I hear Izayoi yelling, "But I don't want to stay here." I halt upon hearing those words.

Are they having an argument?

Did she see Athanasia too?

I place my hand on my mouth in shock. If she did see everything, she must be feeling betrayed, but Toga won't hold her against her will if he was wrong. I sigh as I feel my brain heat up from all the thoughts. I'm not sure though if it's appropriate to step in.

However, I feel Toga angrily leaving so I take it as my chance to speak to Izayoi. I slowly walk towards a crying Izayoi and ask, "Would you like to share your troubles with me?"

Izayoi looks at me with teary eyes and answers, "He is refusing everything I request of him."

"And what did you request of him? I might help in convincing him," I suggest and sit beside her on the grass.

She sniffles and rubs her eyes dry of the tears, saying, "I asked him to allow me to take Inuyasha to my hometown to live the remaining of my time there."

Her words make me freeze in my place as an image of a young Inuyasha pops up in my head. The image of his lonely life as a child, and the sad truth of his mother's passing. I gulp and look away. "I understand now why Toga was angry," I comment.

I take a few seconds before gathering my thoughts and voice out, "Let me tell you a story, you can decide your choice after that." I pause and start the story by, "Nearly 4 months ago, the great Inu no Taisho died, protecting his wife and child from a delusional human. The mother and child lived in a human village where everyone looked down at the mother and cursed at the child. The child lived a very lonely life with no friends, and by the time he started to understand the meaning behind the word half-breed, his mother died and so he was left alone to be hunted by both humans and demons."

I glance at Izayoi, seeing her eyes wide open and tears streaming again. I stand up and look down at her while extending my hand for her, saying, "I understand you don't want Inu no Taisho to suffer the loss of you, but leaving, won't solve anything. You will hurt Inu no Taisho, Inuyasha, and yourself."

Izayoi holds my hand and unexpectedly hugs me while whispering, "Thank you, Zuri. Your words meant so much to me." She lets go with a smile and rushes, saying, "I'll be going."

I smile as I watch her rush to mend Toga's broken heart. After I watch her leave, I turn to gaze upon the colorful garden, feeling the strong breeze brushing against every part of me. I feel relieved. Things would have turned bad if I hadn't seen them.

"Are you gazing at the nothingness or are you talking to the Goddess?" I flinch upon feeling Inukimi's sudden presence beside me, hearing her giggle.

I sigh and answer, "No, I'm just gazing at the nothingness." Unintentionally, I glance at her neck, seeing the Meido stone, hanging there so I comment, "I see, you are taking care of Anubis's eye."

She touches the stone with a smile and says, "This is the safest place for it."

I giggle at how serious she is taking it but I suddenly halt as a thought comes across my mind. No, it's not just a thought but an image of Anubis under the tree with Athanasia. I remember the color of his eyes. 

How did I forget those unrivalled golden eyes?

I glance at the Meido stone, and I find myself getting confused. Unconsciously, I nibble on my nails which makes Inukimi ask, "Something on your mind?"

"Excuse me," I run off and yell, "Meet me at the library." I rush to my room, snatch Athanasia's book from the nightstand, and then head to the library like I told Inukimi.

"Put it here," I state, and Inukimi gently takes off the necklace, putting it beside the book. I turn a few pages till I reach where it mentions Anubis's powers.

"It says that Anubis's eyes are the path to the underworld. However, it doesn't mention how his eyes are different in the two times I saw him," I say and feel Inukimi's uneasiness.

"Can't you just ask the Goddess?" She suggests, and I sigh.

"She is currently sleep-"

'She must have missed me,' Athanasia's annoying voice makes me roll my eyes.

'I'm sure she didn't. Now, tell me the answer,' I utter in irritation.

'Why would he need to see the dead when he is already among them?' She questions me, making realization hit me.

I sigh and tell Inukimi, "Staying among the dead made his eyes change. They became empty just like how you look at this stone and have this feeling of getting lost in space."

'I loved his golden eyes more-'

"Yes, they look more alive," I finish her words without realizing that I have said them.

Inukimi chuckles and comments, "Seems she wasn't sleeping after all."

"Well, seems like this mystery has been easily solved," I comment, and I remember the mission Toga assigned to me. I sigh and state, "Hope the remaining mysteries are as easy."