chapter seventy six

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER SEVENTY-SIX
valentine's day massacre.
season six, episode fourteen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Why are we doing this again?" Billie huffed, sat on the passenger's seat of Jackson's car as he drove them to a restaurant.

"Because, it's Valentine's Day! And our three month anniversary," he said.

"Our anniversary's not until another two weeks." Billie frowned.

"Whatever, it's Valentine's. Be a little excited, we're going out as a couple," he explained. "Don't you like Valentine's?"

"My mother died on Valentine's. No, I'm not exactly too keen on it."

There was a deafening silence.

"Sorry," Jackson mumbled, suddenly unsure. "I didn't know."

Billie felt a pang of guilt, so she placed a hand on his thigh and gave him a firm squeeze, followed by a reassuring smile.

"But if it's that important to you, I'm gonna make it work," she said.

Jackson grinned softly and took advantage of the red light to lean in and plant a soft kiss to her lips, enjoying the soft ambience in the car. However, as they waited for the light to turn green, an ambulance ran past them.

Billie's eyes suddenly widened. "Ambulance!"

"Not tonight, Bils," Jackson argued with an affectionate laugh.

"Fine." Billie huffed reluctantly, sitting back down on her seat to dim her excitement.

They were still waiting for a few more seconds. Two more ambulances went rushing by in the opposite direction and Billie watched them go melancholically, but held herself back from commenting on it. Jackson eyed her amusedly.

"If it's big, they'll page us," he told her.

Suddenly, both their pagers went off.

"Okay, it's big," Jackson said before turning the car around.

Apparently, the roof of a very famous restaurant had collapsed, gravely injuring a lot of people. Upon arrival, Billie and Jackson had changed into their scrubs as fast as they could and had already been assigned to a man whose arm had been amputated.

"I need another four-by-four," Owen said as he worked on the stump alongside Jackson. "Okay, dress him. I'm gonna take another look at the arm. His wound's completely macerated and contaminated. Why wasn't this guy brought in first?"

"He was lying in dirty dishwater for a while before they found him," Billie said as she debrided the amputated arm.

"They forgot I was back there," the patient said weakly from the bed.

Jackson glanced over at Billie for support.

"It's alright." The patient waved him off. "I'm not... I'm not too big on talking to people and nobody talks to me much back there. They just... you know, bring me the dishes." He paused, looking over at Billie. "I lost my arm. I don't wanna have one arm. I don't wanna be a freak. I don't like people staring at me."

"We're gonna do everything we can," Jackson assured.

"Please."

"Okay, Frankie. I'm gonna take you up to surgery now. We're gonna try and reattach the arm, okay?" Owen said as the nurses began wheeling away the patient. "Do we have an open OR? I'll prep him. Work on the stump. You debride the arm, tag the vessels, get it up to me as soon as you can, okay?"