chapter sixty eight

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT
(i always fee like) somebody's watching me.
season six, episode three.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"I talked to Callie last night about the residents at Mercy West. She said they don't suck," Cristina told Meredith and Billie as they got on the elevator. "You're safe 'cause of Derek. Billie's safe 'cause... well, she's Billie. Izzie's safe 'cause of cancer. Alex is Bailey's new favorite. You know, even George would've been spared 'cause he's Owen's guy. Cardio has been a revolving door around here, and no one's got my back!"

"So, Arizona's your cover?" Meredith pointed out.

"She's merger-proof. She keeps little kids alive. No one likes a dead kid."

"Right. Do prefer them quiet, though," Billie confessed absentmindedly.

Meredith eyed her. "You're sick."

"They're under anesthesia half the time anyways," Cristina continued her rambling, shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly. "How bad can it be?"

Meredith and Billie watched Cristina get off the elevator. Then, the latter arched an eyebrow.

"Fifty says she lasts a day."

"Deal."

"You know, we really should get some sleep before rounds," Meredith suggested as her, Billie and Cristina now walked into the ER.

Billie rolled her eyes. "Sleep is for mentally stable people."

"Sleep is for wimps," Cristina corrected. "Sleep is for Mercy West residents. Let's fit in another trauma before rounds."

"I'm pretty sure I could last two more days on a few-hour sleep," Billie commented.

Meredith eyed her sideways. "You know, being emotionally injured is not something to brag about."

"I can brag about whatever I want."

They stopped at the nurses station and, just then, Alex approached them. Billie felt a little pang to the chest, as this was the first time she was seeing him since their fight. However, he didn't seem interested on her in particular, as he leant in and lowered his voice nervously.

"Don't say anything about the wig," he whispered.

Billie, Meredith and Cristina shared weird looks, but just then, Izzie walked in behind Alex, wearing her scrubs and lab coat and a strange red wig that seemed far too unnatural. The three girls immediately took a step back out of surprise.

"I am back," Izzie claimed. "Yes, I am early, but whatever. I'm back. And because I've been gone so long, the first trauma that comes through those doors, it's mine. Got it?"

The three girls didn't say anything. They simply stared at her in a manner that was far too creepy to seem normal, with strained smiles on their faces, so Alex had no choice but to glare at them. However, it was Izzie who spoke.

"It's amazing, right?" she said.

"What?"

"What's amazing?"

"What do you mean?"

Izzie smiled and shook her head. "The wig."

"Oh, it looks so real, I couldn't even tell," Cristina said immediately, urging Billie and Meredith to smile and nod along.