chapter sixty six

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX
now or never.
season five, episode twenty-four.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Billie, Alex, Meredith, George and Cristina all found themselves in Izzie's ICU room, somewhere around four or five in the morning. The blonde still wasn't awake after the surgery she had undergone the night prior to the hands of Derek, which was the motive of concern of all of the residents, who currently lay asleep in different seats scattered around the room. They had all fetched different-colored blankets from the on-call rooms and had covered themselves however they could, mostly using recline seats as their sleeping places even though they all knew they'd wake up sore-shouldered in the morning. Billie, however, even though she had also chosen a pretty blue blanket and the least comfortable seat in the room, had stayed awake all night, monitoring Izzie's progress and vitals to make sure that nothing went wrong-or to be there if something went right.

She was exhausted. Or maybe that was an understatement. It was true, Billie was chronically used to little sleep and continual fatigue due to the horrifyingly short time of her nights which she spent sleeping, but at least she got something. That night, she had made sure not to doze off even for a second, serving herself as the support Izzie needed while she let her friends rest. The exhaustion she felt was inscrutable, causing her eyes to droop limply and her body to feel burdensome, her every limb weighed down by the weight of an anvil. But she still wasn't planning on sleeping.

Any moment now, either Bailey or Derek would walk into the room to check on Izzie, officially indicating the start of her day. For this reason, Billie was now just waiting for the moment. And, as predicted, a few more minutes went by before Bailey walked into the room, eyeing all of her class in concern, seeing as the dark bags beneath their eyes were probably not just product of a one-day lack of sleep. When her eyes landed on Billie, however, she seemed shocked.

"Have you been up all night?" she asked, taking a look at Billie's emaciated face.

For some reason, she looked to have aged years in just a few hours, judging by the darks beneath her eyes and the paleness of her otherwise cherry lips. Bailey was genuinely concerned for the wellness of her residents.

Billie shrugged. "Yeah."

"Oh, dear God." Bailey huffed, clearly not in the mood to put up with her residents' lunacy. She grimaced in disapproval, but didn't comment anything else on the topic.

"Someone had to do it," Billie grumbled diligently. "She could've coded and all these chairs would've just been in the way. Plus, I'm the closest reach."

Bailey nodded. "Any changes overnight?"

"Nope."

At a leisurely pace, one by one, the rest of the intern class slowly grew awake. Alex was the quickest to shoot up from his seat as soon as he heard the two women speaking, only to land next to a still unconscious Izzie on the bed. It seemed as though the fear of losing her hadn't abandoned him even in his sleep, since he seemed as worried as he was before he dozed off. Meredith and Cristina woke up as well, rather slowly, and simply held their positions with sleepy faces.

Billie watched as Alex held Izzie's arm and caressed it softly, as if trying to comfort her in her unconscious state. Obviously, the most concerned out of all. It hurt her seeing him like that.

Just then, a random pager went off, causing George, the last of the resident class to jolt awake. He shot glance in his best friend's direction and his eyes filled with pain, but he was quick to disguise it as tire. He attempted at retrieving his pager, but then noticed it wasn't his device, but Bailey's. The older woman checked her own.