chapter eleven

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER ELEVEN
deny, deny, deny.
season two, episodes four and five.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"You smiled at her," Billie pointed out once she noticed that Alex had dedicated Izzie a small smirk from across the room.

The blonde was sitting by the bar, waiting for her drink, staring at the man longingly while him and Billie played darts together on the other end. The brunette had made up her mind to push aside her feelings and support Alex and Izzie's relationship, so when she noticed the way he had smiled at her, she couldn't help but point it out loud.

"I didn't smile at her." Alex rolled his eyes, launching another dart and landing it terribly.

"You suck at this." She gestured with her head towards the board, then added: "You did smile at her, I saw you."

Alex didn't answer, seeming a little serious all of a sudden, so Billie huffed and turned towards him.

"We're friends now, okay? You're supposed to tell me this type of things."

"Friends who used to make out."

"It happened one time."

"Three, actually," Alex corrected, throwing one more dart distractedly. Billie rolled her eyes.

"So? Why should that matter? We're over that now. We've grown out of it, no feelings involved. Plus, friends kiss," she said, although she knew that at least half of the things she had just said were most likely a lie. "You don't have to be a baby about it."

They stood quietly for a second before Alex smiled tiredly, laughing softly through his nose and allowing her to take a turn at the board. He booed when her dart landed perfectly on the middle and she did a little curtsey.

"But you're into Izzie, right?" Billie asked after a few more seconds, and when Alex didn't answer, her smile grew wide. "You are."

"How's Cristina?" he deadpanned.

The brunette rolled her eyes once again. She wasn't oblivious to his evident attempt to change the topic of conversation, but she rolled along anyway.

"She said she was fine before I left, but I know she's not." Billie sighed. "She's tough and I will be there every step of the way, but... she just lost a baby. I don't know why she's not letting herself at least feel a little vulnerable about it."

"Some people like keeping their feelings to themselves. Besides, Yang's not a vulnerable person. Even if she was sad, she'd never admit it. She's too stubborn." Alex shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"I know, I'm just worried."

"Well, I mean... you were there, all knight-in-shining-armor catching her," he said.

"How do you know that?" She frowned.

"Izzie told me."

"Oh, Izzie." Billie grimaced, but when she noticed Alex's expression, she cleared her throat and rephrased, in a much perkier voice. "I mean, uh... oh, Izzie!"

Meanwhile, Izzie had already gotten her drink and now sat together with Meredith and George. They chatted along nicely until her eyes landed on Alex and Billie, with some sort of hidden jealousy she failed to hide.

"Why is Billie hanging out with Alex?" she asked, elbow on the table and chin propped on her fist. The two remaining turned towards her.

"You hang out with Alex, too," George pointed out the obvious.