chapter four

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER FOUR
shake your groove thing.
season one, episode five.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

That morning, Billie didn't notice she forgot to take her Xanax.

She woke up to a sore throat, which ultimately developed into a hoarse voice that even with all the rest and fluids she took, didn't go away. The pain caused her a bad mood that she knew would settle permanently for the rest of the day, so in the midst of taking an Ibuprofen to relieve the burning of her throat, she missed the routinely action of grabbing the prescription bottle to relieve her anxiety. So, she left her house, already in a terrible mood since she was missing rounds.

She arrived at the hospital at seven o'clock, just in time to catch Meredith at her first shot of open-heart surgery with Dr. Burke. They had talked about this new opportunity multiple times and, in the end, it had been Mer's to take, but Billie wasn't mad about it; if anything, she was proud of her friend, so she was extremely pissed that she was about to miss it due to a bad morning. She was quick to change into her scrubs and head to the gallery, where the interns watched the work amazed, hoping next time would be theirs.

"I wish I could hold a heart," George said pensively.

"A monkey could hold a heart," Cristina scoffed with her eyes fixed on the operating table beneath them, where Billie, as she frowned to herself due to her friend's weird comparison, noticed Meredith almost fell asleep.

"You're mad Burke didn't ask you," George said through a mouthful of yogurt, but then his eyes landed on Billie. "What's wrong with you? You haven't said a word all morning."

The brunette turned her head towards George, already annoyed at him due to having to look away from the surgery beneath them. She dedicated him a harsh glare and didn't answer, partially because she didn't feel like it, but mostly because she had no voice.

She had no idea what the cause of her bad mood was and she wasn't planning to find out. She just knew she could not be bothered today, or else she'd snap.

Lucky for her, Izzie strode into the gallery before George could complain. Her hair was a mess on the top of her head and she looked worried, sipping from her coffee frantically in a way that gave away the fact that she had spent the night in the hospital.

"George, I need more ice and chips," she sighed, as she was organizing what was supposed to be a small gathering at Meredith's house, yet kept growing into a huge party. The blonde sat by George.

"Who else did you invite?" he asked disbelievingly.

"Izzie, we said the list was jocks only: Surgery, Trauma, Plastics," Cristina leaned forward. "Who else?"

"Just some people from Peds."

Cristina huffed. "You invited the preschoolers to Meredith's house. Next thing, you'll say that you invited the shrinks."

The silence gave it all away.

"She invited Mental Defects! This party is DOA."

George was about to say something, but the sound of a silencing hush coming from Billie's direction made them all shut up and turn their heads. The girl, too busy looking down at the surgery happening beneath them with her hands between her thighs, didn't notice her friends' eyes on her.

All of them wondered the same thing, knowing it wasn't natural for Billie to be in such a bad mood.

"What's wrong with her?" Izzie frowned.