chapter seventy five

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE
state of love and trust.
season six, episode thirteen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Either one of you know what this big meeting's about?" Jackson asked as he, Charles and Reed caught up to Alex, Lexie and Billie.

"I heard there was a coup," Reed said.

"Webber's out, Shepherd's in. Is it true?" Charles asked.

"We know what you know," Lexie said.

"Bull. Alright? Your sister's married to the guy. You expect me to believe you don't know what's going on?" Jackson argued.

"Don't you have your own loser friends to talk to?" Alex turned to look at Jackson.

The blue-eyed man dedicated him a defying glare, one which Billie missed.

"Also heard Shepherd plans to clean the house, maybe he'll start with you," Charles told Alex condescendingly.

"Dude, I'm safe. The guy's my roommate. You're the ones who should watch your backs."

"Why? What do you know?" Reed asked.

"Simple math," Alex replied. "Shepherd hates the merger. You're from Mercy West. You're toast."

"Derek's not gonna fire people just because they're from Mercy West," Lexie argued hopefully. "He's not like that. He's loyal and fair."

"Yeah, tell that to Webber." Jackson chuckled.

The two other Mercy West-ers laughed as well, and Alex and Lexie shared looks. Billie was still quiet, which Jackson noticed, so he grabbed at her arm and pulled her apart from the moving group.

"Hey, babe, what's wrong?" he asked.

"What? Why?" She frowned.

"I don't know. You've been off since I picked you up this morning and you haven't said a word. I'm worried," he explained.

"I'm fine," she replied curtly, then quickly scurried away before he could further question her.

Jackson watched her run away with his hands on his hips, slightly concerned about her.

All of the doctors and nurses were gathered at the main lobby, by the stairs, waiting for Derek's speech. Everyone, including Billie, was wondering what it was all about, but the brunette didn't seem too interested on the matter.

Derek appeared on the landing of the stairs, wearing a shirt and a tie beneath his lab coat. Billie felt Jackson's presence behind her, followed by his hand on her waist, then heard Callie scoff.

"What the hell is he wearing?" she asked.

"He looks good. Chiefly," Owen said.

"He looks like an undertaker," Cristina corrected.

"I promised him we'd clap," Arizona informed.

"Oh, now?"

In front of them, Derek was sorting through his flashcards, ready to give out his speech. He stood up straight and cleared his throat loudly, so everyone in the hall went silent awaiting his words.

"I wanna thank you all for being here. I know you're busy, so I'll try to make this quick," he began. "As you may have heard, I have been appointed the new interim chief of surgery." A murmur traveled the hall. "It's my personal goal to make this transition as smooth as possible. I know we've had a rocky few months."