chapter eighteen

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
yesterday.
season two, episode eighteen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"You know, he's acting like I committed a crime. Like my apartment is full of stolen goods," Cristina complained once she walked into the locker room, where the remaining members of her intern class changed into their scrubs, excluding Meredith, who sat pensively on the bench. "He's acting like I kept my apartment to hide stolen goods so I can do illegal transplants for money."

Billie looked up at her from her book, straw feeing her apple juice from the carton in short intervals between her lips, "Rough morning?"

"Are you sure he's not just acting like you lied about moving in?" Meredith stated her pretty valid point, referencing the fact that Burke was mad at Cristina for having told him she'd move in when, in reality, she'd kept her old apartment just in case.

Cristina paused, "Okay, what's wrong with you?"

"My mom is a filthy whore," Meredith replied, seemingly depressed.

Her friends stared at her for a second, trying to read her nuances, before they turned towards each other and shrugged their shoulders in unison, going back to their respective tasks.

"Oh, Bil, you and Alex?" Cristina added as an afterthought.

"What?" The woman in question looked up from her pages, a bit alarmed at the sudden mention of her boyfriend.

"The only thing I'm interested in other than surgery is the love story between Evil Spawn and McBeauty." She scoffed. "What do you think?

"McWhat?"

"Oh, that's the name Mer and I have been secretly calling you ever since we met." Cristina tossed on her scrub top, shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly.

Billie slammed her book shut and stood up from the floor, approaching her friends, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah, you're like, what? Five nine, long legs, shiny hair, and lips the size of Russia. What did you expect?"

"Okay, first of all, I'm five six. And second, I expected you to be normal people for once," Billie whisper-yelled, then adding as an afterthought in a quiet voice. "Is Alex- Does Alex know about this?"

"Know about it? He practically invented it." Meredith chuckled.

Billie cupped her hands over her face, groaning into her palms, "Oh, my God, this is so embarrassing."

"Jake Burton, fifteen, has advanced craniodiaphyseal dysplasia, was admitted last night after complaining of headaches," Billie introduced.

"And he's not a complainer," the mother clarified. "He's been having some nausea."

"Okay. Jake, can I get you to sit up?" Derek walked up to the patient, who had a malformation on his face which caused him to resemble a cat.

Jake smiled, "Sure."

"I want you to look right here for me," Derek asked, holding up a finger.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the bed, Cristina appeared to be visibly uncomfortable at the kid's face, to which Billie nudged her with her elbow so that she'd control her expression.

"You know, if you pretend I'm a lion, it helps," Jake spoke.

"Sorry?"

"If you pretend I'm a lion instead of, you know, a really messed-up kid, you get a talking circus animal, which is way easier to look at."