chapter forty nine

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
piece of my heart.
season four, episode thirteen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"I don't know how to do this!" Billie exclaimed through a mouthful of vegan omelette. "I've never had a brother before, I've never even thought about having a brother. And now, we're, like, you know, all made up and crap and it's like I'm supposed to be his sister, but I don't know how to do this."

She sat on Miles' bed, in his room, in his apartment, wearing one of his shirts over her underwear and contemplating the breakfast he had cooked for her. It was about four in the morning, which was the regular time they, as surgical residents, usually woke up at in order to get some time for themselves but also arrive on time to work.

As well as the breakfast tray in front of her, Billie was also surrounded by countless papers, medical magazines, documents and photocopies of CT and MRI scans of different inoperable malignant glioma cases around the world, which she had printed out from the internet. She was still working on what she was now referring to The Newly-Found Sibling Project (or NFSP, and it was the name she had come up with, given the fact that she had gotten this idea right before her brother and her had somewhat made up and because malignant gliomas, in some sort of sick, perverted way, were like newly-found siblings in one's brains, although this was only up to Billie's own logic, since Miles, who happened to be the only person that knew about the NFSP, didn't exactly understand what she meant), but her ultimate goal was to somehow, someday, manage to find a cure to this particular type of tumors, which were inoperable. And every day, with the help of her lover, she came closer to it.

Speaking of which.

Miles shuffled around the room, hearing her rant about her relationship with her brother, which was at its early onset. He was working around the house to change into his clothes, but he was currently struggling to find his shirt, which he had claimed he had dropped on the floor while them two were too busy having sex, but now, wasn't there anymore. He left the room in order to check the living room, so Billie raised her voice in order to be heard.

"Do you have any brothers?" she yelled out, fork on one hand and medical magazine on the other, displaying her multitasking skillset which she had perfected throughout time.

"Uh, no, not brothers. Sisters though. Six of them," he yelled back from the other side of the door, sounding distracted, given the shifting sounds that followed his statement.

"Six? How do you put up with that?"

"Well, I don't. My sisters and I, we... we don't have the easiest relationship."

Miles finally walked back into the room in a hurry, wearing only his boxers. His eyes landed on hers and his expression dropped.

"You had my shirt on this whole time and you didn't think to tell me? I've been running around looking for that for, like, fifteen minutes!" he exclaimed.

Billie looked down at the shirt she wore and then back up at him with a cheeky smile. "I like your shirt. It smells like you." She put down her fork. "Also, you should wear the black one. Suits you better."

"Does?"

"Really." Billie whistled playfully, causing him to roll his eyes and then start searching the racks for said garment.

"Okay. So, uh..." Miles trailed with his back to her. "You were saying?"

"Oh, right, uhm-" Billie struggled to swallow the omelette on her mouth, almost as if her body was moving too fast for her brain to process. "I have a brother now. I didn't have a brother before, but I do now. So what am I supposed to do? Like... be nice to him? Or just...? What should I do? Because it's all really awkward between us and I just- I really don't want to mess this up!"