chapter thirty nine

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
desire.
season three, episode twenty-one.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

That night, Billie sat on the exam table with the leg of her scrub pant rolled up to her knee. After having removed her cast, Callie stood in front of her, running brief exams on her ankle and leg to make sure her fracture was healed. The range of mobility was obviously a little fluctuant after six weeks of having kept weight off of her leg, but it seemed to be getting stronger.

However, Billie was really distracted.

"Okay, then," Callie said, giving her ankle one last turn. "Your femur has healed nicely, so there's no point in keeping up the appointments. Although do continue with the exercises I showed you."

The brunette didn't answer, eyes fixed on nothing in particular. Callie arched and eyebrow and crouched down to meet her eyes.

"Hi?" she called out.

"What? Sorry, what?" Billie shrugged off her rallying thoughts, which seemed to have been displayed all over her face in the form of a very prominent frown.

"You didn't hear a word I just said, did you?"

The girl closed her eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm a little distracted. What was it?"

"Are you okay? You seem... someplace else." Callie squinted at her, trying to find the source of her distraction by the tired look on her eyes.

"Oh, no, I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." Billie nodded hurriedly, swallowing thickly. "Are you?"

Callie looked around for a second before she pursed her lips, "Actually, I have this thing with George. He's-"

"Mark told me he loved me," Billie blurted out before she could stop herself, causing her to take her hands to her face in embarrassment. "Sorry, I didn't mean to- God, sorry. Continue."

"Wait, he did what?" Callie looked at her, wide-eyed. "Mark told you he loved you? As in, in love loved you? Romantically? Boyfriend and girlfriend?" Billie bit her lip and nodded. "God, that doesn't sound like him at all."

"I know! I just... I've been trying to figure out how to react to it, 'cause I've always seen him like a big brother. Well, you know, aside from the casual hook-ups, but that's not the point. Point is," she took a deep breath, "it doesn't make any sense."

The older girl looked down at her for a second, eyes squinted. "Wow. Your life is full of drama, isn't it?"

"Yeah, kind of."

"Well," she shrugged, "do you love him?"

Billie shook her head, hard set on her eyebrows. "I don't think so."

"You don't think so? That's what you gonna tell him? 'Hey, Mark, thanks for loving me, but I don't think I love you back. Toodles.'" Callie looked at her expectantly.

"Well, not quite like that."

"Billie," she placed her hands on the girl's shoulder, looking at her melodramatically, "you need to sort out your shit."

The brunette sighed. "Oh, God, you're right."

Just then, for reasons unknown to Billie, none other than Mark Sloan walked into the room, "Hey, Torres, can you-"

He quickly cut himself off when he saw Billie sitting up on the exam table. The brunette looked away as he simply stared at her, unsure of what to do; Callie glanced between the two weirdly, now informed on the situation.