chapter thirty five

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
walk on water.
season three, episode fifteen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Seattle awoke to the sound of chirping birds and swirling waters coming from the coast. The sun rose with poise and opened up a spectrum of orange light over the buildings of the city, illuminating everything on its way.

The embryonic hours of the day came along with a light breeze that sauntered the streets, grandstanding to the people who weren't already used to the Seattle weather, therefore wore multiple layers of clothing to somehow shield themselves from the approaching winter.

Billie hastened down the streets with her hands on the pockets of her knee-long leather jacket, which matched the all-black outfit that she conveyed within. Her bag hung from her shoulder, dangling in sync with her loose hair, caused by the bounce that came along with every step she took.

She traveled briskly through the entrance of the ferry terminal and then overpassed the very ample parking lot, which seemed to be deserted that early in the morning. No car in sight, she made it through with no interference, and finally arrived at the check-in hall.

As soon as she opened the doors, she sighted Edward sitting on one of the benches on the waiting area and smiled widely, setting herself to enjoy the last hours with him before getting to see him became much more difficult.

Edward looked up and saw her approaching.

"Hey," he said once she was close enough to hear.

"Hi," she answered.

Billie plopped down on the bench next to him with little decorum, letting out a tired huff which was product of having to wake up at four in the morning to get ready.

They were both left to confront the deafening silence that was only interrupted by the people that shuffled in every direction around them. Billie pressed her lips together.

"Some very dark part of me hopes Virginia Mason sucks," she said. "Then you'd wanna come back."

Edward laughed genuinely and patted her knee shortly. "Yeah, me too."

Billie turned her head and looked up at him, "You'll do great though. I can't wait to visit you. You'll be able to introduce me to all of your friends as the crazy hot resident who's super smart and super awesome. They'll all be jealous of you."

"Super smart and super awesome. Hm, okay." He frowned weirdly, but smiled regardless at her antics.

Billie laughed too. "Seriously though. You better be the best there, or else I'll kill you for making me get all emotional. I don't get emotional."

"Oh, you sure don't." He placed an arm around her, then paused. "You know this isn't goodbye though, right?"

"Yeah, I know." She sighed. "But 'goodbye' and 'see you soon' are pretty much the same thing if you think about it. So... yeah, it kinda feels like goodbye to me."

Edward blew out some air through his mouth loudly. "Okay, then. 'To be continued' it is."

They smiled at each other before they dove headfirst into a comfortable silence that none of them wished to disrupt. They held the position for a few minutes before the speakers on every corner of the terminal were humming.

"Ferry 2201 to Bainbridge Island, boarding. Ferry 2201 to Bainbridge Island, boarding."

Billie and Edward looked at each other and grinned, hard, in a way that made their cheeks hurt.