chapter fifty

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER FIFTY
the becoming.
season four, episode fourteen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Billie, Meredith, Izzie, George and Lexie all stood in front of the bulletin board, where a rather particular announcement was pinned.

"Has Cristina seen it?" Meredith asked in horror.

"Let's take it down." Izzie shook her head, reaching out for the piece of paper in order to unclip it from the board.

"You can't take it down!" Billie whisper-yelled.

"Take it down. Take it down! She never has to know."

"She's gonna hear about it anyway!" the brunette counter-argued, but turned around almost immediately when she heard her second person's voice.

"Who's gonna hear about what?" Cristina approached them, causing Izzie to immediately jump and lean against the bulletin board in order to cover up the piece of paper. The girl arched an eyebrow and laughed. "Izzie, move your hand." The blonde didn't comply. "Oh, come on. Move it."

Finally, Izzie was forced out of the way, to which the remaining residents all watched in horror as Cristina stood in front of the bulletin board and read the announcement, which was carried along with a big black-and-white picture of Preston Burke.

AREA SURGEON TAKES PRESTIGIOUS AWARD

Billie bit her lip when she noticed Cristina's expression falling noticeably. She was ready to rush to her aid, bring a box of tissues if necessary, but was unexpectedly shocked by the girl's following words.

"Good for him," she said before walking away.

"No one wins the Harper Avery. That is so weird, we know someone who won the Harper Avery," Izzie chanted as she and Billie sat on the table of the locker rooms drinking coffee. In front of them, Alex finished changing into his scrubs.

The man in question ignored Izzie's words and turned to the brunette. "Hey, Billie, talk to Meredith. See if she'd be okay if Rebecca moved in for a couple weeks."

"Huh?" Billie frowned, sharing a concerned look with the blonde.

"Yeah. We're gonna get our own place, but it's gonna take me a while to save up for a security deposit," he explained briefly, slipping into his lab coat.

"Alex, Rebecca's married," she tried to talk some sense into him, but somewhere deep inside, she knew her attempts would be to no avail.

"She's leaving her husband. She's telling him right now."

"Okay, what about her kid?"

"I don't know. It's a mess right now, but we're figuring it all out." Alex shrugged nonchalantly, starting to head towards the door.

Billie was disappointed, to say the least. She was disappointed and jealous to watch Alex turn his life upside down for a woman and her child-even if it was a child that didn't exist. She admired Alex, admired his strength. But she couldn't help but think about how Alex could have been turning his life upside down... for her.

Billie glanced at Izzie once again. "Alex, wait."

"She's pregnant. She's knocked up." He stopped her before she could say anything, smile on his face as if talking about said topic made him strangely happy. "Look, just talk to Meredith."