chapter sixty one

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE
i will follow you into the dark.
season five, episode seventeen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Dude, he is fried," Alex said truthfully as her, Izzie, Meredith and Lexie admired Derek from the entrance of the living room.

He sat on the couch with the same clothes he'd been wearing the day prior (and the day before that too), hair and beard a little overgrown. In his hands, Derek held a box of Crispy Puffs, which he ate absentmindedly, and a chaos of lawsuit papers and formularies, empty takeout containers, plates, glasses, tequila bottles and soda cans with traces of beverage inside them surrounded him.

After the accident with his patient, he hadn't left the couch. And he knew everybody was watching him, analyzing his every move, but he honestly didn't give a fuck.

"He is not fried. He lost a patient and got hit with a lawsuit all in one week. He just needs time," Meredith tried to defend, but it was obvious that Derek was going through a persistent depressive episode.

"He's been sitting there for three days. The sofa cushions are gonna start bonding to his ass," Alex reasoned, then raised his voice for Derek to hear. "And he's eating all my cereal!"

"He's taking stock." Izzie shrugged. "Something huge and life-altering happened to him, and he's taking stock, figuring out his next move. We shouldn't judge him and we shouldn't rush him."

"Whatever. Sylvia Plath's picking out all the marshmallows." Alex rolled his eyes. "They're the best part!"

"And I'm pretty sure that he's sitting on my keys..." Lexie mumbled, causing Izzie to stifle a laugh. "I'd ask him to move, but he looks so... comfy."

The four of them stood standing by the doorway of the living room, staring at a very messy-looking Derek, until Billie positioned herself in front of them, blocking their views. She crossed her arms over her chest and glared them down.

"What the hell do you all think you're doing?" she asked reproachingly.

"We're just-"

"No! Out of here, all of you." Billie pointed at them all with a menacing finger, closing the door of the living room behind her to offer her friend some privacy. "Derek is going through a rough patch right now and he doesn't need all of you assholes to be judging what he does. He's depressed and having you all looking at him with pity will not help. He's not a doll in exhibition, so all of you, out, now!"

"Whatever." Alex rolled his eyes, walking away.

He was then seconded by Izzie, who followed him out of the house, and Lexie. Meredith stayed behind, seeming concerned, and stood closely to Billie, who still held her arms crossed over her chest and guarded the door to the living room purposefully.

"Billie, I need you-"

"I'll talk to him," she finished immediately. "I know what he's going through, I'll help him. Okay?"

"Are you sure?" Meredith asked, earning a nod. "Thank you, Bils."

The blonde kissed Billie's cheek, then grabbed her coat and bag and left the house, although not before shooting one last glance in the direction of the living room, as if she didn't want to leave Derek behind.

Once everyone was gone, Billie finally breathed out and softly opened the door, once again, catching sight of Derek, who still sat in the same position. He didn't acknowledge her presence.