chapter forty five

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER FORTY-F
haunt you every day.
season four, episode five.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Billie, Alex and Izzie were sitting on the kitchen table on dawn of Halloween, each engaged on their own individual task due to being unable sleep, when Meredith walked in, holding an urn in her hands.

"What are you guys doing up?" she asked.

"Couldn't sleep," the three chorused.

Meredith nodded and then walked up to the kitchen, retrieving a freezer bag from one of the drawers. She proceeded to offload the contents of the urn-the ashes of her mother-into the bag, causing Izzie and Billie to look up in horror.

"What is that?"

The blonde turned, expressionless. "My mother."

Alex grimaced in disgust. "Happy freaking Halloween."

Later that day, already in the locker room and changed into their scrubs, Izzie, Alex, Billie and Sydney Heron were all looking at Meredith, who was stashing her mother in her cubby. Cristina walked in with a frown.

"What are we looking at?" she asked.

"Meredith put her mom in a baggie and brought her to work," Billie explained, squinting at the sight of her person manhandling the bag on her hand.

"I had to get her out of my closet. She was haunting me," she excused.

"And now she's haunting us all." Alex pressed his lips together.

Meredith shrugged. "I'm putting her to rest."

"Meredith is cleansing." Sydney nodded. "In tribal culture, when one wants to cleanse the past, one cuts off all of one's hair and buries it in the earth. You might try that too."

They all looked at the third-year resident weirdly, but just then, Callie walked in with a clipboard on her hand. "Okay, listen up. Today is a holiday, which means the pit will be overrun. You've got the usual drunken stupidity."

"And then you've got Seattle's annual chainsaw pumpkin carving contest." Bailey smiled widely, walking in behind the chief resident. "I love this city."

"Stay on your toes, stay on top of your interns, okay?" Callie added.

"So, we should round before getting to the pit, or...?" Izzie asked, but the brunette cut her off.

"Yeah, you should direct your questions to Dr. Bailey, Stevens."

"Oh, we're directing our questions to Dr. Bailey?" Cristina frowned.

"Oh, not you. Just Stevens." Callie shook her head. Billie arched an eyebrow, amused.

"Why is Stevens directing her questions to Dr. Bailey?" she asked innocently, although knowing the answer to the question.

Callie clicked her tongue. "Because she's been sleeping with my husband."

The room stood in shock and they all glanced over at Izzie with different emotions displayed upon their faces. Howbeit, Callie simply smiled.

"Alrighty, then. Have a good day."

Once she walked out of the room, everybody turned to the blonde, but she simply laughed nervously, retrieved her lab coat and immediately ran out of the room. Cristina huffed and turned to Meredith.