chapter forty seven

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
crash into me (part one of two).
season four, episodes nine and ten.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

That morning, Billie arrived at the residents' lounge of the hospital, ready to start her shift... except, she was a good thirty minutes late.

Billie Jean Black wasn't known for arriving late. In fact, during her college and med school years, she had built herself a reputation: that of the freaky girl from Dorm 203, the one that never slept and seemed to have no social life, given the fact that she always got to her classes twenty minutes before anybody else. She'd never had friends in college due to it, and growing up, she realized she was very likely to never change that aspect of her life.

As a severely obsessive person, arriving at five thirty-one rather than at five thirty felt like a punishment. Chastisement for breaking the routine. But, suddenly, here she was: not a minute, but half an hour late.

Maybe, just maybe, Billie had just happened to spend the night at Miles' apartment, which had been the place she had been frequenting the most for the past few days. During their first night at the bar, they had really hit it off and it was really no surprise when they ended up having a casual one-night stand in Billie's place later on. One that, given how loud they had been, Billie was sure everyone had heard (mostly because, after having sneaked Miles out of the house without anyone seeing, she had come across her friends, who stared at her sternly with their arms locked over their chests and bags under their eyes, as if the orchestra coming from Billie's room the entire night had kept them up). Ever since then, they had chosen Miles' building to hook up.

She felt like a teenager all over again.

To be honest, Billie wasn't one to hook up on the first date-if that could even be considered a date. But there was this chemistry between them. Billie didn't have to ask Miles what he was thinking about because she already knew, and vice versa. The (amazing) casual hook-ups sure were a nice distraction from Alex.

But, Miles and Billie were starting to grow on each other, delighted by the fact that sex wasn't getting on the way of their newly-found friendship. That was what had caused her to lose track of time. And sure, maybe she had lost the entire night's worth of sleep over some really interesting things she had been pleased to perform, but it had been very worth it.

Now, Billie noticed, as she hurried to change into her scrubs, Alex was late too, rushing into the lounge and up to his cubby at record time.

The conversation she'd overheard between him and Meredith was still fresh in her head, and she remembered all about it as soon as she caught a glimpse of him. But she was in such a good mood that he couldn't possibly ruin it today.

"You're late!" Billie whisper-yelled when she saw him.

"You're late too," he bit back.

"I have an excuse."

"So do I."

"Oh, yeah? What is it?" Billie asked petulantly as she slipped out of her street shirt, then slid her pants down her legs.

Alex was about to answer, but then noticed her standing only on her underwear in the middle of the room, and he slowly connected the dots. "You got laid."

"Did not," the girl argued.

"You're wearing a matching set. No chick wears a matching set to work unless they got laid," Alex accused rightfully, but Billie simply clicked her tongue at him and rolled her eyes. "Who's it? Sloan?"