chapter three

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER THREE
winning a battle, losing the war.
season one, episode three.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Billie had already moved into Meredith's house, and honestly, she couldn't have been happier. The place was spacious and well-decorated and she even had her own room (the best one, she had picked it out herself based on strategic analysis), which meant she could spend time alone if she wanted, but also socialize if she felt like it. The only downside to the house was that there was only one bathroom, but she could live with that.

Now, Billie found herself strolling down the sidewalk towards the hospital, holding two carton cups of coffee on her hands. She had chosen to walk today, as she wanted to breathe in some fresh air. Soon, she spotted Derek and Bailey standing by the sidewalk, waiting to cross the street, so she caught up to them.

"Hi," she greeted Derek with a smile and handed him one of the coffees as some sort of unspoken gratitude.

However, her simple word was answered by immediate hushing coming from Bailey, who waved her hand with her eyes fixated on the street in front of her, as if she was really concentrated on something.

"Well, good morning to you too, Dr. Bailey," Billie raised her eyebrows towards Derek as she sipped from her coffee, but the man just formed his lips into a line.

"I know I've forgotten something," the resident frowned. "Something is happening today. I know I should know what it is, but I just can't..."

"Alright, nice talking with you, Dr. Bailey," Derek nodded at the short woman as he held his own coffee.

"It's right in front of my face," Bailey ignored.

"Well, whatever it is, Dr. Bailey," Billie smiled. "I'll be waiting for you in the hospital. You know, to start rounds."

Derek laughed softly through his nose, yet the resident remained silent, which Billie took as her cue to shrug her shoulders and cross the street while she sipped contently from her coffee. However, the minute she stepped foot onto the pavement, Bailey's voice followed by Derek's screaming and a hard body colliding onto her side made her scream.

"Careful, Black!"

"Billie!"

The bike that crashed against Billie caused her to fall onto the ground, drop both her bag and her coffee and hit her head against the rough pavement. Derek immediately rushed in her direction and pulled her away from the traffic to avoid her getting run over. Billie winced and touched her her forehead to feel a horizontal gush across her skin, just as an army of bikes rolled past them.

"Fuck me," Billie cussed as she felt the hot, sticky liquid running down her forehead and the throbbing pain all over her skull.

"Billie, are you okay?" Derek immediately crouched down next to her.

His eyes landed on the wound, which he didn't touch to avoid infections. Dr. Bailey crouched down next to Derek as well in order to check on her intern.

"Was that what you were forgetting, Dr. Bailey?" Billie groaned from her spot on the ground.

"You bet your ass it was."

"It's not fair, Derek. Why do they get to doctor around while I have to sit here, looking stupid, like I'm not capable to do it as well? I already told you, I'm okay," Billie complained, watching through the window of the room as her intern class fought over patients in the ER.