chapter twenty nine

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
staring at the sun.
season three, episode eight.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Billie clutched her coffee cup on one hand and her bag on the other as she made her way into the hospital alongside Edward, who mimicked her position by holding his own caffeinated beverage and briefcase. The girl chatted eagerly and he dedicated himself to hear her passionate words, sipping from his coffee in short intervals.

"It has been the craziest two months of my life, even before I almost died." Billie laughed about a certain topic that wasn't exactly amusing, but her sense of humor twisted it around for her to find it extremely funny. "I mean, you wouldn't believe how much I've lost and gained."

"Oh, trust me, I would. I was there." Edward nudged her playfully as they made their way into the hospital through the automatic doors. "How's therapy going?"

"As good as it can be. Honestly, I hate it, but I know it's working." She grinned cheekily, then paused. "Oh, hey, can I be on your service today? I don't feel like spending time with anybody I could possibly know."

Edward frowned, "You know me."

"Yeah, but we met, like, three months ago. This people, I've known them for two years, even more. It's a hell of a lot of time to spend with someone, considering the fact that we're working together one hundred hours a week."

"I'd love you on my service, but I think that's up to your resident."

Billie grumbled like a little kid, remembering that, despite the many exceptions she was recently getting, she was still a person of no authority in this place. Edward laughed at her before clicking the button to call the elevator.

"What are you thinking to go into?" He arched an eyebrow.

"Neuro. My mom did." Billie grinned. "She was awesome."

"I've no doubt of that."

The elevator received them empty except for one person, who stood in the middle of the canned space and who also happened to be George O'Malley. He already wore his scrubs and stood with his hands on his hip, tapping his foot on the floor nervously, but when he saw Billie and her friend enter the elevator, he sighed in relief.

"Billie! I've been looking everywhere for you," he said.

"I just got here." The girl shrugged. "Oh, hey, I'm sorry about your dad. I heard he got admitted. How is he?"

"That's exactly what I wanted to talk to you about." George nodded, glancing over Billie's shoulder at Edward, who pretended not to hear as he sipped from his coffee. George lowered his voice. "Dr. Bailey is letting me choose an intern to be on my father's case. You know, since she won't let me be on it because I'm a family member. Honestly, I think that's total crap, but I'm not gonna-"

"Georgie," Billie cut him off. "Straight to the point."

"Right, well. Will you be the intern on my father's case?" he asked straightforwardly.

Billie stayed silent for a second, adopting a much more serious shadow to her face, "You really want me to?"

"Yeah. I mean, you're smart, you're kind, you're funny, you're... you keep me grounded. It's just what my father needs. I also got Cristina with him, because she's Cristina, but honestly, I don't trust anyone else to take care of him other than you. You're just... you're perfect for the job." His eyes glimmered swiftly.