chapter twenty eight

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
let the angels commit.
season three, episode six.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

TWO WEEKS LATER

Billie sat on the Chief's office, wearing street clothes and clutching her bag tightly. Being back in the hospital was weird, but her two-week hold at the Psych Ward had finalized along with most of her internal struggles, so she was better and aware that it was time to go back to work. She was fine.

The Chief smiled at her, "So, how are you feeling?"

"I'm much better, Chief Webber. Thank you." Billie nodded curtly. "Getting myself checked into the Psych Ward was a very good idea."

"Good, good." He drew out a wider smile, but it soon faded. "Now, as you know, we have to discuss some matters before you're officially back to work."

"You mean the fact that Isobel Stevens is coming back to work too?" Billie deadpanned. "Yeah, I'm aware, and with all due respect, sir, I will not have it."

The man was startled for a second, "Dr. Black, there's-"

"I don't need any explanations, any excuses, or even any apologies. I'm past that." Billie shook her head, maintaining an abnormally calm tone to her voice. She paused. "Chief Webber, if a surgeon did something so bad that caused you to lose the only family you ever knew, how would you feel then? What would you be doing? Would you be offering them a job at the same hospital you work at? Because I sure as hell wouldn't."

"Billie, Dr. Stevens made a mistake."

"Not a mistake, no. It was intentional, as I recall," Billie said. "She cut the LVAD wire because she was oh-so-love-stricken, but that's not love. That's murder."

Webber listened patiently, leaning back on his chair.

"Believe me, sir, I considered suing the hospital for nuisance, professional malpractice and/or negligence. Even suing Isobel for murder, which I would've been more than delighted to do," Billie explained, making the Chief stiffen on his seat. "But I moved on. I didn't sue because I realized dwelling on it wasn't worth it, that no amount of money will ever bring back Denny, but that does not mean, under any circumstances, that I've forgiven. I'm not forgiving anyone, let alone Isobel."

"Listen, Billie," Webber cut her off. "I'm not asking you to forgive her, but you out of everyone should know that only good surgeons are able to put personal matters aside. If you love your job as much as I know you do, you won't let this interfere with your work."

The girl shook her head, "Dr. Webber, I finished high school at fifteen and graduated from NYU three years earlier than what I should have. I am an excellent surgeon. Do you know how many hospitals in this country are waiting to get me into their programs? I could be out of this place and it wouldn't take me more than a week to find somewhere else to work at. You are lucky to have me, you shouldn't be wasting such opportunity because of compassion to someone that deserves nothing but pain."

Outside, on the strip that connected both ends of the hospital, Mark, Derek, Edward, Meredith, Alex and George were gathered up outside, peeking into the Chief's office. They couldn't hear the conversation from there, but they weren't any less curious.

"Did she just call him a crack whore?" Mark, who was horrifyingly terrible at reading lips but was trying nonetheless, asked.

Derek, who had finally managed to temporarily put his and Mark's differences aside in the care for his best friend, rolled his eyes at him, "Billie would never do that."