chapter thirteen

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
thanks for the memories.
season two, episode nine.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It was weird for Billie to spend even a day without drinking her typical carton of apple juice. At this point, it had become a regular doing in her life, as her life (literally) depended on it. She needed that daily dose of sugar in order to be able to get through her day.

Ever since she was a child, her mother used to pour a cup of sweetened apple juice for breakfast every morning, along with her favorite cereal. After that, it just became a habit. Even after her mom died and the LeBlanc home turned into a hostile habitat, you would never catch their fridge lacking the typical sachet of apple juice.

When Billie was way too young to go out along, it was Ian, her brother, who bought it for her. Then, she started doing it herself, replacing the big carton for the smaller ones in order to be able to take them with her to school.

Her father sometimes yelled at her. Told her she'd get cavities. But he'd forgotten how much it meant to her, how much she needed it. With time, she'd stopped reminding him.

It was weird for Billie to spend even a day without drinking her typical carton of apple juice. She was a routine person, she never missed her apple juice. But lately, she'd been distracted.

For the past few days, her mind had been entirely occupied by none other than Alex Karev. She woke up thinking of him, spent her day thinking of him and went to sleep thinking of him. And since she didn't sleep, she thought of him then, too. Dreamed of him, if she managed to doze off for a while. When she ate, when she drank, when she worked. All the time.

Billie and Alex hadn't talked for exactly a week now (it's not like they were counting, or anything). Needless to say, they missed each other to very cores, but it freaked them both out to feel so damn attached to someone they barely knew. But they just felt comfortable with one another. Way too comfortable.

It was weird for Billie to spend even a day without drinking her typical carton of apple juice. But lately, she hadn't been doing so.

That morning, despite Izzie's unceasing complaints, Billie was adamant on skipping the Thanksgiving dinner, so she explicitly stated it before she left towards the hospital without another word. She promised the blonde she'd be back by six only to get her off her ass, but she wasn't so sure she'd be keeping her promise.

It wasn't something she was planning on telling, but the reason Billie hated Thanksgiving so much was because it used to be her mother's favorite day before she died. And, naturally, anything that would remotely remind Billie of her mother was something she hated.

Billie arrived at the hospital to a shift with no rounds since there weren't any interns. She wasn't feeling that great today; she'd woken up feeling light-headed and she was also starving, which wasn't doing any wonders to her mood. Quickly, she changed into her scrubs in the locker room alongside Meredith, and now, Bailey was walking into the space, holding a chart and directing specifically to the two girls.

"Grey, Black," the resident called out. "We're working with a temp attending today: Dr. Kent. He's subbing in from Mercy West. We need to get him oriented. And thank you two for volunteering to come in. Saved me from having to choose interns to torture."

"Happy to be tortured," Meredith chanted.

"Yeah." Billie cleared her throat.

Bailey frowned. "Are you okay, Black? You're looking a little pale."