chapter thirty four

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
wishin' and hopin'.
season three, episode fourteen.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Bailey and Billie stood in front of said clinic, which had been ultimately baptized as the Denny Duquette Memorial Clinic. Their arms were crossed over their chests and they stared at their masterpiece proudly.

"Would you look at that?" Billie smirked widely. "Six days. Five million dollars."

"And we're open for business," the resident finished, then glanced over at her intern. "You made this possible, Black."

"It was your idea," she said in retaliation. "We made this possible."

"Damn right we did."

Billie stared at the opening clinic for one more second. "I think Denny would be proud."

"Denny would be a hell of a lot more than just proud." Bailey smiled at her. "We did this."

"We did this." The younger girl nodded and then, they proceeded to fist-bump.

Later that day, Dr. Burke and Billie ran out to the ambulance station, where one of the vehicles was pulling up. The backdoors were opened to reveal Meredith sitting by her mother, who laid on the gurney, fully conscious.

"She had some external chest pain," Meredith informed.

"Chest pain and syncope. My pulse was in the two hundreds, but the rate has resolved on its own," Ellis deadpanned.

Burke and Billie looked at her in shock as the latter helped Meredith out of the ambulance. They all stared at each other.

"She's completely lucid," the blonde stated.

"She's what?"

"She's aware. She's herself again."

Billie and Burke glanced at each other in confusion and then proceeded to follow the gurney into the hospital. Ellis looked around and her eyes widened tenfold.

"Oh, my God, is this...?" she trailed off. "Are we in Seattle Grace?"

"Yes, mom, this is where I'm doing my residency," Meredith clarified.

"Your daughter is one of our finest interns. Following in your very big footsteps." Burke smiled politely.

"Do you know Richard Webber? Is he still a doctor here?"

"What, the Chief?"

Ellis' jaw fell open. "Richard Webber is the Chief? Of surgery?"

Burke glanced at Meredith over his shoulder and the blonde simply limited herself to give him an apologetic smile. Then, she glanced at Billie, whose lip twitched downwards.

"Family drama, much?"

Billie opened the double door to the clinic dramatically, making herself present in a room where Alex, Izzie, Cristina, Bailey, Mark and Webber were already shuffling around. First, Alex and Cristina were searching the racks for nothing in particular, mostly just snooping around; meanwhile, Mark and Webber eyed their surroundings, inspecting the space in awe; finally and for some apparent reason, Bailey stood by the counter next to Izzie, who stared at the door without even blinking.

"What the hell's wrong with her?" Billie asked Bailey, gesturing with her head towards the blonde.

"She's watching the door," the resident answered.