chapter sixty seven

˚♡ ⋆。˚

CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN
good mourning.
season six, episodes one and two.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

DAY ONE

Bailey and Webber barged into the OR. Callie couldn't breathe, Owen struggled to help her calm down, and around them, every nurse and surgeon stared down at the table, where George's body laid inert.

Billie held back tears when she looked up and met Derek's eyes through their masks.

"His ICP went through the roof," he explained to the Chief. "We did everything. Everything."

"Chief, his organs are viable for now, but it won't be long until he's acidotic and hypothermic," Owen said, looking at Webber. "Is he a donor?"

The OR had now fallen into a deafening silence. Callie had finally managed to regain her breath. Bailey's eyes shot towards the trauma surgeon as if he had just said an atrocity.

"Uhm..." the Chief began, "I don't know. I called his mother, she's on her way. Let's close him up and get him to the ICU in case she wants to see him."

Billie felt Meredith's hand somewhere around her fumbling for hers. They held each other tightly and didn't let go.

"You can't tell her."

"Alex."

"She coded in my arms. Out of nowhere, she died," Alex explained frantically, standing by the door of Izzie's ICU room like a protective barrier, impeding Billie, Meredith and Cristina from entering to break the devastating news to the blonde. "Just... I'll tell her. I'll tell her when she gets stronger."

Alex fixated his stare straight into Billie's bloodshot eyes. He shook his head.

"Alex..." Izzie called weakly from the bed. The man turned and was instantly by her side.

"You okay?" he asked.

"I had... a dream," she began, her voice frail, her face pale. "He was in his uniform."

"What?"

"George is gonna die in the Army if we don't stop him," Izzie finished. "Hand me my phone. I need my phone."

Alex looked over his shoulder at Billie for comfort, but she was already gone.

Ian found Billie in a nurses station an hour later, scribbling down nonsense on already updated charts, as if trying to find something else to do other than thinking about George. He looked at her for a second since she hadn't noticed his presence yet, then leant against the counter and looked at her sympathetically.

"I heard about your friend," Ian said softly. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah," Billie murmured back without daring to look up at him.