[155] Give and Take 4

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I bought this place recently. There wasn't a suitable place to avoid prying eyes around here. It's a bit cramped, right? I was feeling uncomfortable and wondering what to do about it..."

"Cramped? It seems larger than my apartment."

I purchased a large apartment in Yeouido, which seemed useful in many ways. It boasted stringent security and perfect privacy protection, making me wonder if it was a building intended for members of the National Assembly in Yeouido.

"But it seems that you're not living here, considering there's no bed or furniture."

"Yes. Just think of it as a cafe. By the way, would you like some coffee?"

"Oh, then please, one cup."

I brewed coffee with the coffee machine and placed it on the table.

"You're quite impressive. Still a university student, and... Are all chaebol family members like this? Did you start early with business lessons since childhood?"

"Isn't it common knowledge? Even without doing anything, third-generation chaebol heirs get praised. I'm a bit diligent for someone from a rich family, right? Is it unusual?"

"Very unusual. Enough for your elders to be extra cautious."

Lee Kang-sik hinted at his motives to show that he was genuinely involved in this.

"How is the progress? It seems like we should start closing it down soon... Is there anything particularly noteworthy?"

"Director Jin and CEO Oh Sehyun, we were instructed to conclude the investigation based on the current situation. The only remaining target is Vice Chairman Jin Seo-yoon."

From what I've observed, it's clear that this is all a fakeout.

"Has our aunt been requested to appear for questioning?"

"Not yet. They are still investigating the financial records of Paper Company, but I don't have the details because it's not under my jurisdiction."

From the way he scratched his head, it seemed that he knew he was currently not of much use.

But whether it's a person or a tool, its utility depends on the person using it.

"Prosecutor Lee Kang-sik."

"Yes?"

"How many prosecutors at the Southern District Prosecutor's Office are close to you?"

"Close people... Well..."

It's a question about how many prosecutors would be willing to assist us. He seemed to understand it instantly.

"There are a few."

"Are Prosecutor Lee and those people aiming for the Chief Prosecutor position? Or are they trying to uncover a major case and make a leap to Yeouido?"

"Aim... well."

Prosecutor Lee Kang-sik showed a bitter smile, and I understood the meaning behind that smile.

Is there anyone who becomes a prosecutor thinking they won't seek success? But as life goes on, dreams fade away, and they start to focus on the reality. Even a senior prosecutor would see opening a law firm as the most realistic goal.

"Shouldn't they change their goals?"

"Change their goals?"

"How about this? Being a high-paying attorney."

"What do you mean by high-paying? I think the units might be different for third-generation chaebol heirs." The prosecutor asked with his eyes shining.