[134] The Last Struggle at the End of the Century 2

"Now that we've exchanged greetings, let's sit down. Would you like some coffee, or perhaps some Korean tea?"

"Water will be fine, thank you. I'm quite thirsty."

Lee Sangsoo loosened his tightly knotted tie and let out a sigh of relief.

Judging from his demeanor, it seemed like he hadn't come here for casual conversation. I felt like I should get up; he probably had something important to discuss.

"Well then, why don't you two talk while I go..."

"Do-Jun, wait." Oh Sehyun hurriedly stopped me as I was about to get up, and he turned to Lee Sangsoo. "Sangsoo, are you here to discuss something personal, or is it related to business?"

"Huh? Well, it's a bit of both..."

"Be specific. It seems urgent if you came rushing to the office without prior notice, doesn't it?"

"But why are you asking that?"

"If it's work-related, this guy should be part of the conversation too, that's why I'm asking."

Lee Sangsoo hesitated for a moment, his expression slightly troubled, and then he nodded. "It's about work, but it's something that shouldn't leak outside..."

"If that's the case, don't worry. I can keep a secret better than anyone. Do-Jun, stay seated."

Sitting back down, I observed Lee Sangsoo carefully.

In 1994, his company had achieved tremendous success by introducing communication software that could send faxes through PCs without fax machines and a PC communication emulator. He was about to become the CEO of a soon-to-be-listed company.

However, someone who was highly regarded in Yeouido and destined to sit on the money cushion of venture entrepreneurs had rushed over to discuss something confidential. I wondered what it could be.

"In fact, our company plans to go public around the summer."

"Oh, congratulations! Now all that's left is to take a seat on the money cushion. It's a shame. I wish I had some money to burn too."

Oh Sehyun patted his back and congratulated him, but Lee Sangsoo had a bitter expression.

"What are you talking about? You turned down the investment. Heh."

"Do you think a company formed by Seoul National University and KAIST graduates would worry about investors? They probably had people lining up to invest for you to pick and choose."

Lee Sangsoo scratched his head awkwardly.

This industry has its own league where only the elite play. Those who boast about their investments and flaunt their money usually end up being ridiculed.

"In truth, I wanted to invest, but this guy talked me out of it. I don't know if you're aware, but Miracle has only been involved with a few initial online gaming companies and has never invested in venture startups."

Lee Sangsoo looked puzzled as he asked, "Why did you distance yourselves from venture startups? Was there a special reason?"

"Venture startups are essentially small and medium-sized enterprises, aren't they? It would be a nuisance for a company the size of Miracle to dabble in that field just to make a little extra money. Miracle is the one that acquired Ahjin Group and Daeah Construction. We have to protect our own interests." I said it somewhat arrogantly.

Honestly, I didn't like this guy.

If he had steadily grown his company based on his excellent technical skills, it could have become a great enterprise. However, he got greedy for quick riches and ended up going bankrupt. As a result, tens of thousands of ordinary retail investors suffered, and there wasn't a single person to take responsibility.