[084] Bad Guy, Wicked Guy 1

"Audit? No way. Someone from Oh Sehyun's team will handle it."

"You think they'll keep control of the warehouse keys? Heh heh. Do you really believe those guys who just toyed with calculators can guard the warehouse?"

Damn, why is he so uneasy?

"Do-Jun."

"Yes."

"A guy who can outsmart construction company folks is an artist in itself. Hiring and firing hundreds of day laborers is a piece of cake. It's no big deal to skim around ten million won a day without Oh Se-hyun even noticing."

He isn't joking or trying to make fun of me with his words.

It's not a warning or advice... What is it?

"Do you think that's all? Do you know that you can easily switch out wood worth tens of millions of won with cheap wood? Do you think Oh Se-hyun or his employees would be able to tell the difference? They even tamper with the weight of the reinforced steel, and they've been embezzling cafeteria expenses. Aren't you trembling at the thought of getting caught?"

"Why are you making me so nervous?"

"Don't you still get it? What this old man means?"

I focused all my attention to decipher his meaning while receiving his sharp gaze. I must find the meaning to avoid disappointing him.

"Are you saying that we need to immerse ourselves in the muck to see the real thing?"

The construction industry is the breeding ground for corporate misconduct in South Korea.

Collusion, union leader misconduct, inflating construction costs, subcontractor misconduct, and so on.

The conclusion was to understand all these intricacies.

"If I can manipulate construction company executives as I please, Ive learned how to handle servants. Then those guys will automatically generate the money I need. When I need to use money from an unclear source, there's no safer place than a construction company."

I got about half of it right. Instead of getting dirty in the mud, it means securing a source of off-the-books funds.

Nevertheless, I was relieved to see his approving gaze.

"You mentioned that you'll be reviewing the year-end accounts tomorrow, right?"

"Yes."

"Send a Sunyang Construction audit team with you. Take them along. Oh Sehyun's subpar accountants is nothing compared to them. They're experts who can catch everything, just by roughly skimming through receipts and tax invoices."

"Thank you, Grandfather." I quickly got up and bowed my head.

If I can't swallow Dae-ah Construction whole despite all this help, then I should blame my own incompetence.

"You can thank me later."

"Yes?"

"All of this might be for the benefit of the Sunyang Group. Don't whine and complain after getting a stab in the back from your grandfather. Heh heh."

Oh, really? He's teasing me to the very end.

Seeing my smiling grandfather, I just sighed.

"Do-Jun, who are these people...?"

Oh Se-hyun blinked as he looked at the men who had come with me.

"They are members of the Sunyang Construction accounting audit team. These gentlemen can remember even the product numbers of cement in construction companies. With just a few receipts, they can easily trace embezzlement. So, we should have enough evidence to submit to the prosecutor's office tomorrow."