[102] Wandering Patient 2

"Why is this happening? Why is someone who should be resting comfortably at home after work lying on the operating table?"

"Who is it? Do you know them?" Surprised, Grandfather reached for the business card I held in my hand. "What is it? Were they our employee?"

"Yes, He is my dedicated assistant. I brought them here early this morning. I told them to go home after work..." As I spoke, the situation became clear.

Secretary Kim had ignored my words and fulfilled his duties to the fullest extent possible. He had continued to assist me until I returned home.

But did he have to go as far as risking his life?

It seemed like Grandfather understood the situation instantly as he turned to the hospital director and spoke. "Can this person be saved?"

"We are doing our best right now."

That's all the doctor could say. Shouldn't doctors refrain from making guarantees when it comes to human lives?

"Please do everything you can to save them. That person saved our life..."

"Yes, Chairman."

"Even if my words upset you, please don't misunderstand. If necessary, consider transferring them to a naval medical facility."

"That's not feasible at the moment. We need to finish the surgery first and assess his condition. Even a minor shock could lead to complications, and it's too risky to use an ambulance or helicopter."

"Alright. I'll leave that decision to the hospital director. But anything you need, whether it's medical personnel or equipment, don't hesitate to ask."

"Yes. I will inform you again after the surgery is completed."

After the hospital director stepped aside, Grandfather comforted me.

"You're quite fortunate, my boy, to have such a person by your side. Meeting someone like this..." He tried to console me, but his words didn't really sink in.

Someone who was willing to sacrifice their life for me—there was no way to fully comprehend it.

"While I've had many people serve time in prison for me, no one has ever risked their life like this. You must be wondering how to repay this debt."

"That debt doesn't seem to be mine alone, does it?"

"You're right. I also owe this person a great deal. Haha." Grandfather stared at the bloodstained business card again. "Get some rest. There's nothing either of us can do until the surgery is over, it seems."

"Right. Let's take a break."

Grandfather closed his eyes, but I couldn't relax.

If Secretary Kim Yoon-seok doesn't make it out of the operating room alive, I'll be burdened with an unpayable debt for the rest of my life.

A heavy feeling settled in one corner of my heart.

As they entered Gongju City, Lee Hak-jae parked the car briefly. He had called the police who had assisted earlier, expressed his gratitude, and made an appropriate gesture of gratitude.

Then, there was a place they needed to visit before the hospital.

"Let's go to the Gongju Police Station."

Upon arrival at the police station, Lee Hak-jae walked confidently into the chief's office.

The chief, upon receiving Lee Hak-jae's business card, displayed a polite demeanor.