[071] The First Battle 3

Director Hakjae Lee opened the door to the chairman's office, and someone entered.

Chairman Jin, who had been sitting on the visitor's sofa, stood up when the door opened but quickly sat back down.

"The Prime Minister sends an errand boy? He's grown quite a bit."

In response to Chairman Jin's uncomfortable remark, the errand boy, who was slowly walking in, quickly rushed to the nearby seat and bowed.

"Please don't misunderstand, Chairman. Given the current situation, there were many eyes watching, so it was inevitable. He instructed me to convey his apology."

"Alright, I understand. Take a seat quickly."

Kim Sung-soo, the vice minister, bowed his head and sat down on the sofa.

"You must know why I asked to meet with the Prime Minister, right?"

"Of course, Chairman."

"I heard that the IMF approved $55.5 billion in aid. The guy who acts like a tough guy, did he promise that yesterday?"

Vice Minister Kim Sung-soo blinked his eyes instead of answering.

"You... don't know?"

"Chairman, it's not that, but I wanted to confirm how you knew. It happened early this morning, or rather, just today...."

"Don't ask me who my sources are. Just answer the question, got it?"

"Yes, understood."

"How much is coming in the first round?"

"$5.6 billion. We're planning to use it immediately."

"I don't know where that money is going, but let Sunyang Group use $1.5 billion. Is that okay?"

Vice Minister Kim Sung-soo put both of his hands politely on his knees, wearing an awkward expression.

"Chairman, that's a bit... We've decided to release it to commercial banks for now. Export companies are holding credit notes and are on the verge of collapsing. We need to release their credit lines first to prevent a domino effect."

"Starting with the leaky ones, huh?"

"Yes."

"Get out."

"Ch-Chairman."

Vice Minister Kim barely perched on the edge of the sofa, his body drenched in cold sweat.

"Do you think I'm a fool? The election is just around the corner, right? If you announce support for the conglomerates, it'll sound like you're losing votes from the small and medium-sized enterprises, won't it?"

"Oh, no, not at all."

"And these guys are just saying 'let's see'... When they need campaign funds, they dig into my pockets, but when I need something, they fill someone else's pockets? What kind of math is that?"

As Chairman Jin sharply pointed out, Vice Minister Kim Sung-soo became tongue-tied again.

"Kim Sung-soo, when will the second round of funding be?"

Hakjae Lee, who had been quietly observing, asked, coming to the rescue of the embarrassed Kim Sung-soo.

"At the end of December. Right after Christmas."

"How much?"

"$2 billion."

Chairman Jin slammed the sofa armrest.