[018] The Era of Ordinary People 3

Starting from 1980, the government formulated plans to promote the improvement of household fuels and concretized plans for LNG imports, resulting in the emergence of numerous private urban gas operators in the capital region and major cities.

On October 31, 1986, a ship carrying 57,300 tons of LNG arrived at Pyeongtaek Receiving Terminal, marking the official commencement of urban gas operations.

The energy source for urban households was rapidly transitioning from coal and petroleum to natural gas.

The Soviet Union was a giant resource-rich country, capable of supplying up to 30% of Europe's natural gas. Could they possibly threaten to turn off the valve, a diplomatic trump card?

This bizarre threat was highly effective. If the Soviet Union were to shut off the gas pipelines, Europe would shiver in the cold and darkness.

In the Soviet Union, the production, distribution, and sale of their natural gas were monopolized by "Gazprom," a state-owned enterprise, with over half of its board members serving high-ranking positions in the Russian government.

If Sunyang obtained exclusive rights to supply natural gas to private urban gas operators, it would be no different from gaining control of the valve in the Soviet gas pipelines.

Monopoly rights alone could generate immense profits.

Sunyang had already set the goal of achieving this in the government's North Korea policy.

"Alright, handle that matter as you see fit... But more importantly, Hakjae."

"Yes, Chairman."

"What do you think?"

The Chairman's gesture briefly indicated the outer room.

"Are you referring to Do-Jun?"

Chairman Jin nodded, and Secretary Lee Hakjae smiled lightly.

"The seedling is promising."

"Just the seedling?"

"I'll make a judgment in ten years. Even a promising seedling can be uprooted in a single storm."

"Is this about Do-Jun's father?"

Chairman Jin remembered the promising seedling that had been uprooted and flown away.

"Well, Yoon-gi changed after studying in the UK. He had potential."

There was a tinge of regret in his voice. However, Secretary Lee Hakjae didn't hesitate to express even worse opinions.

He was one of the few close aides who could voice any complaints to Chairman Jin without hesitation.

"Do-Jun was born between a father with an overflowing artistic temperament and an actress mother. Perhaps he possesses the greatest potential for rapid transformation."

"Do-Jun's mother is just a beauty. She became an actress because of her looks. There's no talent for being a sycophant in him."

Chairman Jin dismissed any thoughts of his grandson being a sycophant.

"He's overflowing with artistic talent. Maybe that's his greatest condition for a sudden transformation."

I wanted to ask on what basis he made such judgments, but I stopped myself. The chairman, whose eyes were not ordinary, might be right.

Secretary Lee Hakjae redirected the conversation back to Do-Jun.

"But I can understand why Chairman has such affection for him. He's exceptional."